Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

length of nursing session

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 10:49 PM
  • 10 Replies
How long should my 6 week old daughter be nursing each session? She'll nurse for 10 minutes and fall asleep, lol. Also, can anyone give me tips on how to get her to stay asleep when I lay her in her crib at night?
by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 10:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 10:55 PM
Diaper count is your indicator of how much she is taking in. She should go through at least six diapers in twenty four hours with at least two quarter sized poops. During the day, wear her in a wrap or sling so she can nurse and sleep at will. At night, co-sleep or side-car her crib to your bed. Frequent waking protects against SIDS and stimulates your supply. Six weeks is also a big growth spurt.
BellaMama7
by Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 10:57 PM
1 mom liked this

undress her a bit to wake her up so she can feed from both sides.

i always made sure my kids were in dream land before i layed them down, my youngest would wake up when i tried to lay him down so id hold him a bit longer and slowly walk around the house..

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 15, 2014 at 12:16 AM

As long as she wants. And that's a forever answer. Leave her be, she's fine. She'll sleep longer when she's ready. Be warned: You will be ready for it LONG before she is.

CountryGirl1365
by Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 5:38 AM
I didn't mean through the night, I meant after she nurses kind of thing lol.

Quoting gdiamante:

As long as she wants. And that's a forever answer. Leave her be, she's fine. She'll sleep longer when she's ready. Be warned: You will be ready for it LONG before she is.

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jan. 15, 2014 at 10:18 AM
Exactly this!

Quoting MusherMaggie: Diaper count is your indicator of how much she is taking in. She should go through at least six diapers in twenty four hours with at least two quarter sized poops. During the day, wear her in a wrap or sling so she can nurse and sleep at will. At night, co-sleep or side-car her crib to your bed. Frequent waking protects against SIDS and stimulates your supply. Six weeks is also a big growth spurt.
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jan. 15, 2014 at 10:19 AM
1 mom liked this
I would do the arm test, pick up her arm and drop it, if it fell than she was ready to be layed down.

Quoting BellaMama7:

undress her a bit to wake her up so she can feed from both sides.

i always made sure my kids were in dream land before i layed them down, my youngest would wake up when i tried to lay him down so id hold him a bit longer and slowly walk around the house..

Hannahsmommy816
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 10:26 AM

mine has always been a fast nurser 5-10min not always each side. check diaper count

angelchewning
by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 11:02 AM

i find after i nurse him before bed he likes to be rocked or swayed and cuddles for a few minutes. hes a lovey dovey baby and requires a great deal of cuddles. also, if he wakes and fusses as i lay him down most times he fell asleep nursing and forgot he was still hungry and just needs a few more sips to fill his belly and then hes fine.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 15, 2014 at 1:16 PM

Same advice applies. She will sleep longer at any given period when she's ready to. **smile**

Quoting CountryGirl1365: I didn't mean through the night, I meant after she nurses kind of thing lol.

Quoting gdiamante:

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 15, 2014 at 3:29 PM
Yep, this!

Quoting Precious333: Exactly this!

Quoting MusherMaggie: Diaper count is your indicator of how much she is taking in. She should go through at least six diapers in twenty four hours with at least two quarter sized poops. During the day, wear her in a wrap or sling so she can nurse and sleep at will. At night, co-sleep or side-car her crib to your bed. Frequent waking protects against SIDS and stimulates your supply. Six weeks is also a big growth spurt.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)