Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Is this normal?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 12:19 AM
  • 16 Replies
My LO will be two weeks Friday. When he was first born, he fed the usual 20-30 minutes every 2-3 hours. But for the past several days, he has literally eaten around the clock. Constantly. And I mean constantly. Last night, he switched back and forth between sides for 4 hours straight with no breaks in between. Today, he only slept one time for more than 10 minutes ALL DAY. He's absolutely inconsolable unless there's a nipple in his mouth. No rocking, holding, wearing, swaddling, swing, or even pacifier (I know, I know, but I was desperate) works. He will scream his head off until I nurse him, even if he just nursed for the past two hours straight. Is this just a growth spurt? I'm at my wits end and exhausted. Poor DH tries to help but LO just screams in his arms.
by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 12:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 15, 2014 at 12:25 AM
3 moms liked this

Yep. Starting the three week growth spurt a bit early. it happens. Quite normal. Know why we bond? So we don't eat them or throw them out the window. The newborn infant is quite possibly the least pleasant creature you will ever encounter in your life. **grin**

Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 12:31 AM
Totally normal!
LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Jan. 15, 2014 at 12:34 AM
Ugh, well, I'm glad to know it's normal. But it's not fun, lol. Little man refuses to nurse in side lying position, so I can't sleep at all while he nurses. Right now, he's been nursing for the past two hours (hence this post, lol)

Quoting gdiamante:

Yep. Starting the three week growth spurt a bit early. it happens. Quite normal. Know why we bond? So we don't eat them or throw them out the window. The newborn infant is quite possibly the least pleasant creature you will ever encounter in your life. **grin**

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jan. 15, 2014 at 7:00 AM
1 mom liked this
He's doing his job of ramping up your supply. It's grueling but normal. You'll come out of this very exhausted but with great supply. And then he'll be a llittle bit more pleasant. At least as far as fussy newborns go. ;-)
angelchewning
by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 9:30 AM
1 mom liked this

aww, sorry. sounds like youve got an early bloomer for the 3wk growth spurt. itll be over soon!!!

hip2it
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 9:44 AM

It's the evil three week growth spurt.  I almost quit BF during that one (LO is 2 months now).  He nursed so long one night that I woke up with cracked nipples and I was extremely dehydrated.  Drink lots of water and stay strong!  LO just started nursing once every 3-4 hours (a HUGE improvement from being latched 90% of the time) and it's so much more enjoyable than before.

LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Jan. 15, 2014 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this
I so look forward to longer stretches between feedings!

Quoting hip2it:

It's the evil three week growth spurt.  I almost quit BF during that one (LO is 2 months now).  He nursed so long one night that I woke up with cracked nipples and I was extremely dehydrated.  Drink lots of water and stay strong!  LO just started nursing once every 3-4 hours (a HUGE improvement from being latched 90% of the time) and it's so much more enjoyable than before.

Hannahsmommy816
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 10:25 AM

growth spurt!

KarenM42
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 10:28 AM
Mine did the same thing. I wish I would have been a member of this group back then. Instead, I took baby to the doctor because I didn't think he was getting enough milk & was starving (he wasn't). Hang in there! It will get better soon. Sounds like you are doing a great job, mama!

Quoting LeapBaby123: I so look forward to longer stretches between feedings!

Quoting hip2it:

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 15, 2014 at 2:17 PM
You will get there eventually. Hang in there!

Quoting LeapBaby123: I so look forward to longer stretches between feedings!

Quoting hip2it:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)