Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Post revision help

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:56 PM
  • 6 Replies
DD had her upper lip tie and tongue tie clipped yesterday. A lot of moms recommended we do tongue stretches. The doctor said to avoid it so she doesn't reopen the wound and get an infection.
What should I do?
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Jan. 16, 2014 at 2:03 PM
Sounds like you used a provider who isn't very familiar with the outcomes of revisions. Did he use scissors? Any stitches? The stretches are very very important to avoid reattachment and multiple releases.
JamieBue38
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 2:07 PM
Scissors, no stitches. Does she need a lip stretch too or just tongue?

Quoting stepconfused182: Sounds like you used a provider who isn't very familiar with the outcomes of revisions. Did he use scissors? Any stitches? The stretches are very very important to avoid reattachment and multiple releases.
shortyali
by Alicia on Jan. 16, 2014 at 2:09 PM
1 mom liked this
I never did any stretches with my kids tongues and they healed fine without any issues. I'd follow your gut. Maybe give it a day and then do them.
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Jan. 16, 2014 at 2:11 PM
1 mom liked this
You need to exercise both of them. Go on YouTube and search "tongue tie revision stretches dr Kotlow" and watch what he does. That's exactly what you need to do 3-4 times a day for 3 weeks to avoid reattachment. Obviously wash your hands well before doing them. It will not get infected. The dentist who did my sons releases on Tuesday has done over 7,000 of them and has never seen an infection occur.

Quoting JamieBue38: Scissors, no stitches. Does she need a lip stretch too or just tongue?

Quoting stepconfused182: Sounds like you used a provider who isn't very familiar with the outcomes of revisions. Did he use scissors? Any stitches? The stretches are very very important to avoid reattachment and multiple releases.
JamieBue38
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 2:19 PM
Her top lip is still swollen. Maybe I can rub some orajel so she doesn't feel it?

Quoting stepconfused182: You need to exercise both of them. Go on YouTube and search "tongue tie revision stretches dr Kotlow" and watch what he does. That's exactly what you need to do 3-4 times a day for 3 weeks to avoid reattachment. Obviously wash your hands well before doing them. It will not get infected. The dentist who did my sons releases on Tuesday has done over 7,000 of them and has never seen an infection occur.

Quoting JamieBue38: Scissors, no stitches. Does she need a lip stretch too or just tongue?

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Jan. 16, 2014 at 2:23 PM
Totally up to you. For the first 24 hrs, I gave my son Tylenol and then nursed immediately after the stretches and he did fine. He didn't need anything after that. How does her pain seem so far?

Quoting JamieBue38: Her top lip is still swollen. Maybe I can rub some orajel so she doesn't feel it?

Quoting stepconfused182: You need to exercise both of them. Go on YouTube and search "tongue tie revision stretches dr Kotlow" and watch what he does. That's exactly what you need to do 3-4 times a day for 3 weeks to avoid reattachment. Obviously wash your hands well before doing them. It will not get infected. The dentist who did my sons releases on Tuesday has done over 7,000 of them and has never seen an infection occur.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)