Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is she eating often enough?

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 3:00 PM
  • 15 Replies

Babes is 7 weeks. Birthweight was 7lb 6oz, 6lb 12oz 2 days later when we left the hospital. A week later was 6lb 10 oz. A week later was 7lb 6oz. A week later was 8lb 10 oz. A week later was 10lb 5oz. This week was 9lb 12 oz. I think I'm missing a couple weeks in there - I can't remember them all and I didn't get sheets like I should have. I know the 8lb 10oz to 10 lbs 5oz was from a Thursday to the next Wednesday. The only time she generally gets formula is in the evening/night. During the day when I'm home she nurses on demand. My question is, how often should she generally be nursing (I know there isn't a for sure answer, just looking for an idea). I started keeping track today and she's going a good 4 hours between feedings and sleeps between them. Should I be waking her up and feeding every 2 hours instead, at least during the day?

by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 3:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cassie2115
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Forgot to add that she does have at least 6 wet diapers a day, some of which are very wet.

north2013
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 3:06 PM
I am not an expert i am learning all these things myself but i was told by the ped that if he sleeps let him sleep and consider it a blessing just feed when he wakes up

Cassie2115
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 3:16 PM

That's what I've been doing lol. I just feel like she should be eating more often.

Quoting north2013: I am not an expert i am learning all these things myself but i was told by the ped that if he sleeps let him sleep and consider it a blessing just feed when he wakes up

JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Jan. 16, 2014 at 3:20 PM

As long as diapers are good, 5-6 in a 24 hour period you're good.  Is there a reason you're giving formula?

cowgirls10181
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 3:20 PM
A general rule of thumb i was told was every two ish hours.
Mine were frequent nursers n nursed every 20 minutes for the first 3 months. Nights were rough!
Cassie2115
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 3:27 PM

We started when she lost so much in the beginning and it's been a slippery slope since then. I've been able to get it so it's just at night when I'm working since I don't get a chance to pump at work (not a long shift but it's right before bedtime). We got her into a routine of going to bed around the same time every night which is working for her and keeps sanity in the house. I've been slowly cutting formula out completely. The next one to go will be the middle of the night one. I've been putting it off because I like getting sleep right now lol.

Quoting JadeTigr7:

As long as diapers are good, 5-6 in a 24 hour period you're good.  Is there a reason you're giving formula?

north2013
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 3:42 PM
I felt the same way when my son was born but my mom always said trust me if hes hungry he will let you know hes now

Quoting Cassie2115:

That's what I've been doing lol. I just feel like she should be eating more often.

Quoting north2013: I am not an expert i am learning all these things myself but i was told by the ped that if he sleeps let him sleep and consider it a blessing just feed when he wakes up

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Jan. 16, 2014 at 3:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Pumping first thing every morning can help you get the milk needed for while you're gone instead of giving the formula.
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:02 PM
1 mom liked this
The formula could be keeping her from nursing more because it sits heavier in the stomach and takes longer to digest. Are you pumping whenever the formula is given? If not, it can negatively affect your supply.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:17 PM
Those weights look strange, as if she gained almost two pounds in less than a week then lost a half pound or so. Were these all taken on the same calibrated scale?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)