Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Attn: working/pumping moms

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:32 PM
  • 12 Replies
My son will be 12 months in a few weeks & I will no longer be pumping at work. I am worried about the transition.

My main concern is my son. Right now he is with dad during the day. I have about a month's worth of frozen milk. I am thinking of slowly weaning him from breast milk rather than stopping cold turkey (I am talking about while I am at work-I don't plan to wean from breastfeeding). I was thinking of having my husband gradually decrease the amount of milk in his bottles to ease the transition.

I plan to continue to bring my pump to work just in case I need to pump during lunch (if I get engorged). I always nurse right before I leave in the morning & right when I get home so I'm not sure if I will need to pump or not.

Any thoughts about my plan? Any suggestions? What worked for you?

Thanks, ladies!
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I think your plan is perfect.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:41 PM
Good plan. Maybe do it by offering a cup instead of a bottle--that tends to slow them down.
HoBo86
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 8:46 PM
Your plan was my plan with my first two. I plan to do the same thing with number three in 5 months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angelchewning
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 9:10 PM

out of curiosity, why wont you be pumping at work anymore? is it because of the law stating you get reasonable breaks for pumping only thru baby's first year? i ask because i am 6 mo in now so i will face this in the not too distant future.

polkaspots
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 9:15 PM
I'd suggest a cup instead of a bottle too. It seems weird to make two changes at once, but he won't be expecting bm in his cups. I didn't pump after a year either, he got milk in a bottle until around eighteen months once a week in the middle of the night when DH woke up with him because I was at work. He wasn't getting bottles during the day after maybe eight months (?) because he had finally mastered the straw sippy cup. He was using a regular cup during the day by eighteen months too when DH finally stopped using the bottle at night.
Sorry for rambling. My point was that using a cup during the day instead of a bottle might make the transition from milk to water easier.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 9:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Most women stop pumping at the one year mark because they want to. After one milk doesn't have to be their primary source of nutrition and since they don't need milk before food anymore they don't need to have milk while mom is at work. Nursing on demand the rest of the time is usually good enough as long as baby is nursing three times a day, which most are.

Quoting angelchewning:

out of curiosity, why wont you be pumping at work anymore? is it because of the law stating you get reasonable breaks for pumping only thru baby's first year? i ask because i am 6 mo in now so i will face this in the not too distant future.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angelchewning
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 9:21 PM

only 3x per day? :( But i dont want my baby bear to grow up!!!!

Quoting polkaspots: Most women stop pumping at the one year mark because they want to. After one milk doesn't have to be their primary source of nutrition and since they don't need milk before food anymore they don't need to have milk while mom is at work. Nursing on demand the rest of the time is usually good enough as long as baby is nursing three times a day, which most are.

Quoting angelchewning:

polkaspots
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 9:24 PM
Not only three times, at least three times. That's from a nutritional stand point.
Your baby will grow up though, sorry to tell you. Mine turns two next month and is just starting to slow down his nursing. The past week or so he's only been nursing four or five times a day and he's been going to sleep without nursing at nap time... I think he's growing up too:(

Quoting angelchewning:

only 3x per day? :( But i dont want my baby bear to grow up!!!!

Quoting polkaspots: Most women stop pumping at the one year mark because they want to. After one milk doesn't have to be their primary source of nutrition and since they don't need milk before food anymore they don't need to have milk while mom is at work. Nursing on demand the rest of the time is usually good enough as long as baby is nursing three times a day, which most are.

Quoting angelchewning:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cemcnair
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 9:27 PM
I pumped for 18 months with my oldest (still pumping for the baby now), but I have a very flexible boss. She also pumped for about the same for her dd.
As long as work is flexible, you can continue to pump. I preferred to send breast milk to daycare as long as possible.

Quoting angelchewning:

KarenM42
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 9:29 PM
Yes, that is why and what Polkaspot said. I know what you mean about not wanting them to grow up! I am not happy at all that mine is turning one!!!

Quoting angelchewning:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)