Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nipple Shields and Shells

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 7:32 PM
  • 24 Replies
Hi ladies,

Wanted to talk about Nipple Shields and Nipple Shells.

I do use a Nipple Shield occasionally with my lo. I purchased it only because of the horrible nipple pain I was having. Once I used it though, I really liked it. My lo, who always has trouble latching on my right side, now can latch with no problem. Not only that but, when using the shield on either side, it seems as though she is able to get more milk, she stays awake so she nurses longer, and does not pull off my boob or fuss whatsoever. It really seems like she is doing better with the shield. Has anyone experieced this as well? Is it possible?

My other question is about Nipple Shells. My Doula, who is also a LLLI Leader, suggested the nipple shellsto me when we spoke about my lo having latch issues and me being in pain. Just looking for some feedback on them. Do they help with latching? Do they help with sore nipples?

I just am always looking for something to help us with latching issues and nipple pain. As far as my left boob, she latches well but that its so painful on that side and it looks like I have a blister too. As far as my right side, she will rarely latch on anymore.

Thanks in advance ladies!
〣( ºΔº )〣
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 7:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyO2-6631
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 7:55 PM
It sounds like your baby has a tongue tie. Nipple shells are worn in the bra when not nursing. They help draw out flat nipples.
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Jan. 16, 2014 at 9:00 PM
They also protect the nipples between nursing sessions.

Quoting MommyO2-6631: It sounds like your baby has a tongue tie. Nipple shells are worn in the bra when not nursing. They help draw out flat nipples.
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Jan. 16, 2014 at 9:02 PM
The pain that you experience without the shield indicates a latch issue that needs to be addressed. Commonly, this is due to tongue and/or upper lip ties that need to be clipped/lasered.
nicolett80
by Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 9:03 PM
Is there anyway for me to tell if she has tongue tie, by looking? And if she did, why is she able to latch well on one side but not the other?

The reason she suggested the nipple shells was because I had been told by a LC, while still pregnant and a nurse in the hospital, right after delivering, that although my nipples were not inverted or flat, they do not exactly stick enough. I'm pretty sure one of them used the word retracted. I'm not sure, I just know there were comments made. They seem pretty normal to me though!

I only wear a size 36B but my right boob is bigger than my left and so my right areola is also bigger. I wonder if that makes a difference.

(。•́︿•̀。)
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Jan. 16, 2014 at 9:33 PM
There is an article posted in the group frequently that shows what to look for to see if your baby has a tongue tie. I'm on my phone, but will look for it.
Does she have an upper lip tie? If so, she likely has a posterior tongue tie also.
hip2it
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 9:35 PM
Before we got his ties clipped I used a shield sometimes. Maybe one or two sessions a day. I didn't want him to develop a preference.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:10 PM
http://www.cwgenna.com/ttidentify.html
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:12 PM
This is the link that I was talking about.

Quoting K8wizzo: http://www.cwgenna.com/ttidentify.html
gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:33 PM

http://www.cwgenna.com/ttidentify.html

Made it clicky. And OP, it's quite possible it is a tie or bad latch affecting noe side only. None of us are symmetrical and it's known to happen.

corpswife523
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 12:32 AM
I have flat nipples so I have to use the nipple shield, it works for me and have no problems breast feeding besides milk production, the shells really only helped with my engorgement because they make me constantly leak.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)