Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is there a such thing as TOO BF friendly??

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2014 at 5:09 AM
  • 48 Replies

After my OB appointment Wednesday, me and DH got a tour of labor and delivery where I'll be having the baby.  All the nurses that were there was sweet, nice, and just wonderful all the way around.  I met one of the lactation consultants, and I liked her a lot too.  The tour was amazing, I had no questions about getting help BFing by the time they were done, or about much in general.  They were very informative and covered all their bases.  They also gave us a tour packet that I didn't look at until we got in the car.  I think it's GREAT that the hospital is so breastfeeding-friendly.  However, there were only two things talked about in the whole packet...breastfeeding and skin to skin.  I thought that it was odd, not that they had that info in there or even as much as they had about it, but that they didn't think about a few things when putting the packet together.  For the mothers who come in planning to formula feed, they also need support.  BFing is not for everyone, and if I planned to formula feed (which I don't, i will be breastfeeding) I would have felt a little intimidated by the fact that they don't seem supportive.  Another thing that shocked me about the packet...is there was no other info about the hospital, staff, procedures, risks and what they do when problems come about, views, info on newborns other than feeding them, and a lot of other things that they could have put in there.  

Again, I think it's amazing that they are breastfeeding friendly, but I just think that things like that should go outside of feeding a baby and skin to skin.  I think something like that should have been loaded with different types of info, and I also think that it could make mothers who don't plan to or can't BF feel pressured or bad because they aren't for whatever reason.  What do you all think?

Pregnancy Ticker
by on Jan. 18, 2014 at 5:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MinaPR
by Mina on Jan. 18, 2014 at 7:44 AM
3 moms liked this
My hospital was the same. I think they promote breastfeeding only because sadly, breastfeeding is the one method needing promotion... Formula makers take care of their part. They might even show up in your room with freebies! Most of us in reproductive age were FF because our mothers were bombarded with bad info making them think formula was better. So it is us who need to be reprogrammed with the truth... that formula should be an alternate method in case nothing else works. All new moms (I hope) want to give their babies the best, and it is lots of skin to skin and breastmilk, it is good they only promote that, because it is an incentive for mothers to at least give it a try. Good luck!!!
Pagan_Mommy84
by Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 7:49 AM

Hmm...I didn't think about that!!  Your absolutly right :)  But, I do still think that they should put more in a tour packet...like info about the staff or hospital, services, the care they provide in general and what not.  I guess it just seemed so ... incomplete, like there wasn't enough info offered in there

Quoting MinaPR: My hospital was the same. I think they promote breastfeeding only because sadly, breastfeeding is the one method needing promotion... Formula makers take care of their part. They might even show up in your room with freebies! Most of us in reproductive age were FF because our mothers were bombarded with bad info making them think formula was better. So it is us who need to be reprogrammed with the truth... that formula should be an alternate method in case nothing else works. All new moms (I hope) want to give their babies the best, and it is lots of skin to skin and breastmilk, it is good they only promote that, because it is an incentive for mothers to at least give it a try. Good luck!!!

Pregnancy Ticker
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Jan. 18, 2014 at 10:00 AM
I've never seen a hospital put the type of info in their packets that you mentioned. Did you take a birthing class? That's where they do all the things you were expecting.

Quoting Pagan_Mommy84:

Hmm...I didn't think about that!!  Your absolutly right :)  But, I do still think that they should put more in a tour packet...like info about the staff or hospital, services, the care they provide in general and what not.  I guess it just seemed so ... incomplete, like there wasn't enough info offered in there

Quoting MinaPR: My hospital was the same. I think they promote breastfeeding only because sadly, breastfeeding is the one method needing promotion... Formula makers take care of their part. They might even show up in your room with freebies! Most of us in reproductive age were FF because our mothers were bombarded with bad info making them think formula was better. So it is us who need to be reprogrammed with the truth... that formula should be an alternate method in case nothing else works. All new moms (I hope) want to give their babies the best, and it is lots of skin to skin and breastmilk, it is good they only promote that, because it is an incentive for mothers to at least give it a try. Good luck!!!

Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 11:54 AM
6 moms liked this
I wish more hospitals were breastfeeding friendly. I think formula shouldn't be so readily available.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 18, 2014 at 1:20 PM
Me too.

Quoting Mom2Just1: I wish more hospitals were breastfeeding friendly. I think formula shouldn't be so readily available.
jjchick75
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 1:40 PM
I think that's great actually. I wish the hospitals around here were more like that.
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 1:41 PM
2 moms liked this
I actually know several hospitals that are exactly how you described. Even so they don't provide formula or pacifiers to new moms, because they dot accept the handouts from the formula companies.

I'm actually glad hospitals do this, it's better for overall general health. While I do respect a woman's right to choose to formula feed, I'm glad hospitals are informing new moms do their best option. If more people breastfed, the general population would be healthier, therefor insuranee rates would go down.
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jan. 18, 2014 at 1:49 PM
I think they're just trying not to freak all the pregnant women out LOL. If I were to have gotten a packet of all of the risks, procedures, and in case of emergency stuff then I would have freaked! And I say kudo's to them for not accepting all of the formula handouts. I would have loved a hospital like that!
BellaBlue92
by Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 1:55 PM
This. I didn't get any of the info you mentioned when I took my tour. I did get a parenting book after I actually had my baby. But I personally think it's good the hospital is doing this. I think formula is great for mothers who CANT breastfeed, but I think every mom should at least try to breastfeed her baby. I honestly think it's a little selfish for a mother to decide before she even has her baby she's going to formula feed because she thinks it's more convenient.

Quoting stepconfused182: I've never seen a hospital put the type of info in their packets that you mentioned. Did you take a birthing class? That's where they do all the things you were expecting.

Quoting Pagan_Mommy84:

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 18, 2014 at 2:14 PM

On a tour, I wouldn't have expected even as much info as you did get. Does this hospital have a baby-friendly designation? If so, not one word will be breathed about formula. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)