Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Weaning & depression

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2014 at 7:13 PM
  • 23 Replies
I had depression so so bad after my son was born . I am worried that when I wean my son off that I will start to have the depression come back. I read online that some woman experience this. I'm not weaning just yet anyway, my son is almost 1.

However, I was thinking when I do wean that I would do it in the summer because the winter months are already hard. Had anyone experienced this & when did you wean?

Thanks!
by on Jan. 18, 2014 at 7:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 18, 2014 at 7:17 PM
1 mom liked this
I didn't force wean my second, so I didn't deal with it.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 18, 2014 at 7:22 PM

The easiest way to avoid depression is not to wean but let baby do it all by himself. Nurisng will go away slowly without you even noticing.

Think of it this way: If you've started solids the weaning process is already underway. It's all you really need to do.

juniebug11
by Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 7:26 PM
He has started eating some foods ( just recently ) he will be 1 on the 24th. He still really loves to breast feed. I do to. But a lot of people have been asking me like when are you going to stop he's almost one.

Quoting gdiamante:

The easiest way to avoid depression is not to wean but let baby do it all by himself. Nurisng will go away slowly without you even noticing.

Think of it this way: If you've started solids the weaning process is already underway. It's all you really need to do.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 18, 2014 at 7:30 PM
7 moms liked this

And you tell them this:

Michael Jordan, Albert Einstein and Jesus Christ were breastfed to age THREE and beyond. The minute you walk in here rocking six NBA CHampionship rings, a Nobel prize and can walk on water, you can ask me that question again. 

Quoting juniebug11: He has started eating some foods ( just recently ) he will be 1 on the 24th. He still really loves to breast feed. I do to. But a lot of people have been asking me like when are you going to stop he's almost one.

Quoting gdiamante:

ekh2010
by Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 7:32 PM
1 mom liked this
You should act surprised as if you didnt know... Lol unless its hubby and he has a valid reason as to why baby shldnt nurse anymore just ignore them. My son loves to eat food but he doesnt play bout his boobies...im planning on nursing til 18mo or longer...i think summer might be easier on you if you feel the mood change w the season. Maybe get a special big boy cup
KarenM42
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 7:36 PM
Ha ha ha ha ha!!! Yes!!!

Quoting gdiamante:

And you tell them this:

Michael Jordan, Albert Einstein and Jesus Christ were breastfed to age THREE and beyond. The minute you walk in here rocking six NBA CHampionship rings, a Nobel prize and can walk on water, you can ask me that question again. 

Quoting juniebug11: He has started eating some foods ( just recently ) he will be 1 on the 24th. He still really loves to breast feed. I do to. But a lot of people have been asking me like when are you going to stop he's almost one.

Quoting gdiamante:

KarenM42
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 7:40 PM
1 mom liked this
If you both love it then do it! Don't let others pressure you to wean him just because he is a year old. There is absolutely no reason to wean him now unless YOU want to, and it doesn't sound like you do. He will continue to benefit from nursing long past his first birthday!

Quoting gdiamante:

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jan. 18, 2014 at 10:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Nobody's opinions matter but your own and your baby's. As he gets older it will be easier to only nurse at home and then nobody even has to know if you don't want them to. My son is nineteen months and the only people that know I still nurse are my dh, my eight year old, and my MIL. It's not that I hide it... everyone just assumes.
juniebug11
by Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 10:33 PM
I love this! Lol

Quoting gdiamante:

And you tell them this:

Quoting gdiamante:

juniebug11
by Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 10:36 PM
No my husband was fine with it. But he went with me to the wic office a few weeks ago. The lady kept saying how I should start to wean, she gave me little pamphlets on it. Then dh was like are you suppose to stop before he's 1?! ( like the bottle at 1) and I said no you can do it until the baby stops. But the woman was so persistent on baby needing to drink dairy milk? I was like but he drinks breast milk? And she kept saying we needed to give dairy milk.

Quoting ekh2010: You should act surprised as if you didnt know... Lol unless its hubby and he has a valid reason as to why baby shldnt nurse anymore just ignore them. My son loves to eat food but he doesnt play bout his boobies...im planning on nursing til 18mo or longer...i think summer might be easier on you if you feel the mood change w the season. Maybe get a special big boy cup
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)