Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Discomfort Overload!! :/

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2014 at 7:40 PM
  • 23 Replies

Hi everybody. This has been my first full day at home from the hospital and my body can totally tell. So much has happened and is going on that I don't know what to do with myself most of the day. I had to have an emergency c-section on monday and baby is doing very well in NICU. I know I've posted before on here but now is the real deal and I've gotten a good supply of colostrum built up, especially while I was in the hospital when they stayed on me about pumping. Now that I'm out of the hospital, I'm dealing with my pain and discomfort from my surgery, headaches from my low iron level (lost a lot of blood), and discomfort other places. Add to all of that engorgment and everything else the boobs does lol. I think I'll be able to tolerate pumping more once I heal a lot more cause all of this stuff together sucks. What could I do to try to at least make pumping a little more comfortable because I know how long and how much I have to do it while baby is in hospital and get the milk for her. Hopefully somebody has some options for me :)

P.S: I've been getting a lot of colustrum and been leaking a lot lol.

by on Jan. 18, 2014 at 7:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 18, 2014 at 9:53 PM

What kind of pump are you using? Some pumps are just known to be bad; Evenflo in particular bears the nickname "the nipple shredder."

Redkrow23
by Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 10:01 PM

I'm using the Medela one (yellow) like the one they had in the hospital. It's not bad all of the time I guess unless me hurting in a few places at one time makes the experience less enjoyable right now. That nickname doesn't sound pleasant at all lol and glad that is not what they use.

Quoting gdiamante:

What kind of pump are you using? Some pumps are just known to be bad; Evenflo in particular bears the nickname "the nipple shredder."

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 10:37 PM
If you have pain medication, do not be afraid to take it. It is safe. Do not do anything right now but taking care of yourself and pumping. Everything else can be done by someone else or it can wait.
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jan. 18, 2014 at 10:46 PM
Take your pain meds as recommended. Don't try to be tough. It is safe. Just remember that breast milk is what's best for your baby. It also helps to have a blanket that smells like the baby and keep a picture or video of baby nearby. It helps elicit a letdown.
Redkrow23
by Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 10:51 PM

I think I should ask my mama to wash out the things when I'm done because I find myself getting up and walking around a lot instead of getting enough resting between pumping sessions.

Quoting MusherMaggie: If you have pain medication, do not be afraid to take it. It is safe. Do not do anything right now but taking care of yourself and pumping. Everything else can be done by someone else or it can wait.

Redkrow23
by Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 10:56 PM

Probably what I was doing too. I know in the nursery I got to do the Kangaroo thing and of course couldn't do it for the full hour, but had a letdown (if that's what leaking is) when they got her from me. I've noticed when I think of her too the milk comes out easier. I am making sure that I didn't myself into something that'll drain me completely because while I'm healing I got to pump a lot throughout the day, but it's helping me stay distracted while I'm here and she is there. It makes me feel proud though cause I'm doing it for her.

Quoting MommyO2-6631: Take your pain meds as recommended. Don't try to be tough. It is safe. Just remember that breast milk is what's best for your baby. It also helps to have a blanket that smells like the baby and keep a picture or video of baby nearby. It helps elicit a letdown.

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jan. 19, 2014 at 7:36 AM
It is completely possible to pump and bring in a full milk supply. You can even get her back to the breast later. I exclusively pumped for eight weeks before these ladies helped me get him back to the breast.

Quoting Redkrow23:

Probably what I was doing too. I know in the nursery I got to do the Kangaroo thing and of course couldn't do it for the full hour, but had a letdown (if that's what leaking is) when they got her from me. I've noticed when I think of her too the milk comes out easier. I am making sure that I didn't myself into something that'll drain me completely because while I'm healing I got to pump a lot throughout the day, but it's helping me stay distracted while I'm here and she is there. It makes me feel proud though cause I'm doing it for her.

Quoting MommyO2-6631: Take your pain meds as recommended. Don't try to be tough. It is safe. Just remember that breast milk is what's best for your baby. It also helps to have a blanket that smells like the baby and keep a picture or video of baby nearby. It helps elicit a letdown.

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jan. 19, 2014 at 7:38 AM
Nifty EPer trick. Rinse them (don't have to wash) and put them in the fridge. Then you only have to wash/sterilize them once a day. Saves so much soap!

Quoting Redkrow23:

I think I should ask my mama to wash out the things when I'm done because I find myself getting up and walking around a lot instead of getting enough resting between pumping sessions.

Quoting MusherMaggie: If you have pain medication, do not be afraid to take it. It is safe. Do not do anything right now but taking care of yourself and pumping. Everything else can be done by someone else or it can wait.

Redkrow23
by Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 8:13 AM

I'm hoping that this can be today, but when I go see her today in NICU and am able to do the Kangaroo thing, they say we can try to see what she will do at my breast. If she doesn't go to it then I know we have time cause she is only like 6 days old and will still get my milk from the bottle. With the milk supply, I'm wondering if it is still colustrum since she was premature, or does is it now something else.

Quoting MommyO2-6631: It is completely possible to pump and bring in a full milk supply. You can even get her back to the breast later. I exclusively pumped for eight weeks before these ladies helped me get him back to the breast.

Quoting Redkrow23:

Redkrow23
by Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 8:15 AM
1 mom liked this

That makes me feel better lol. I was washing them with soap each time but knew that they were just going to be touching my boobs. I will defnitely do that from now on.

Quoting MommyO2-6631: Nifty EPer trick. Rinse them (don't have to wash) and put them in the fridge. Then you only have to wash/sterilize them once a day. Saves so much soap!

Quoting Redkrow23:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN