Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Unsupportive Family Vent

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2014 at 10:30 PM
  • 37 Replies

I am ebf my almost 10 wk old. After failing in bf my 1st this is truly one of the things I am most proud of and 95% of the time i love bf! My family is so unsupportive though and its really starting to piss me off! I am so sick of the comments.. "shes eating again!, when are you going to switch to formula?, all she does is eat, thats so demanding i dont understand why you just dont switch to formula, you cant make it so she goes longer in between feedings?, i would just pump so you dont have to feed her as much, can't you pump so i can bond?, all she ever does is cry for me (which isnt true btw)." Then theres the constant hints that I should cover or try to close me off in a room to feed her. I have tried explaining to them that her stomach is small and since breastmilk is the perfect food it digest quicker. It goes in one ear and out the other with them. I am just soooooo sick of hearing these comments constantly I could scream! When I told my mother how proud I was that i was still bf and that every other person I knew who had babies at the same time wasn't still breastfeeding all she said was "oh". I plan to let my baby self wean so I can just imagine the comments when she passes a year old and is still breastfeeding. UGH! Just had to vent.

by on Jan. 19, 2014 at 10:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaTwinkleA
by Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 10:35 PM
I am sorry you feel so unsupported. I recently mentioned to a Sil that looked absolutely appalled that I breastfed till 18 months when he baby stopped formula at 13 months. It hurts and is in no way helpful.

*hugs* keep up the good work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Teefrank
by on Jan. 19, 2014 at 11:22 PM
1 mom liked this
I used to get that from husband's family. They stopped telling me anything because I stood firm and my husband supported me. Now I only get "Oh, you still breastfeeding?". Heck to the yes I am! :)
Be proud of yourself. You are doing the best for you and your baby. Hopefully they will quit soon.
KarenM42
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 11:23 PM
2 moms liked this
They act like you are doing some outrageous & foreign thing to your baby rather than the most perfect & natural thing you could possibly be doing. That is so odd to me & so unfortunate! This may sound harsh, but they are ignorant & need some serious education on the subject! Until they become educated, they need to shut their mouths & have no right to say a word! Ignore them and keep nursing that precious baby. What you are doing is beautiful & awesome.
Teefrank
by on Jan. 19, 2014 at 11:46 PM
I agree completely.

Quoting KarenM42: They act like you are doing some outrageous & foreign thing to your baby rather than the most perfect & natural thing you could possibly be doing. That is so odd to me & so unfortunate! This may sound harsh, but they are ignorant & need some serious education on the subject! Until they become educated, they need to shut their mouths & have no right to say a word! Ignore them and keep nursing that precious baby. What you are doing is beautiful & awesome.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 20, 2014 at 12:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting GreenDotsOrange:

I am ebf my almost 10 wk old. After failing in bf my 1st this is truly one of the things I am most proud of and 95% of the time i love bf! My family is so unsupportive though and its really starting to piss me off! I am so sick of the comments.. "shes eating again!,

"Yes. Living babies tend to do that. It's how they grow."

when are you going to switch to formula?,

"I'm not. But if my breastfeedong troubles you so much we won't see you again till she's weaned."

all she does is eat, thats so demanding i dont understand why you just dont switch to formula, you cant make it so she goes longer in between feedings?, i would just pump so you dont have to feed her as much, can't you pump so i can bond?, all she ever does is cry for me (which isnt true btw)." Then theres the constant hints that I should cover or try to close me off in a room to feed her. I have tried explaining to them that her stomach is small and since breastmilk is the perfect food it digest quicker. It goes in one ear and out the other with them. I am just soooooo sick of hearing these comments constantly I could scream! When I told my mother how proud I was that i was still bf and that every other person I knew who had babies at the same time wasn't still breastfeeding all she said was "oh". I plan to let my baby self wean so I can just imagine the comments when she passes a year old and is still breastfeeding. UGH! Just had to vent.

Just stop seeing these people. You will be amazed how happy you can be without family.

ishldbcooking
by Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 12:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Omg I get so tired of hearing people like that. I hear that formula is much more convenient, when she was first born and having trouble latching 'I should just switch to bottle', etc. Eventually I got to the point where I said I couldn't care less what you think so please keep it to yourself! My family is very judgemental about how long someone bfs. I bf my son 8 months but I wanted to much longer and I plan on it with my 4 month old. Keep your head up momma. Dont let them get you down! You are doing whats best and you are doing it well! On another note, I think fixing bottles is much more inconvenient once you get bf established well. Also, they don't nurse that often forever. My 4 month old was tiny (5 lbs) so she couldn't eat much at a time at first and literally ate all day. It gets better I promise!

Quoting GreenDotsOrange:

I am ebf my almost 10 wk old. After failing in bf my 1st this is truly one of the things I am most proud of and 95% of the time i love bf! My family is so unsupportive though and its really starting to piss me off! I am so sick of the comments.. "shes eating again!, when are you going to switch to formula?, all she does is eat, thats so demanding i dont understand why you just dont switch to formula, you cant make it so she goes longer in between feedings?, i would just pump so you dont have to feed her as much, can't you pump so i can bond?, all she ever does is cry for me (which isnt true btw)." Then theres the constant hints that I should cover or try to close me off in a room to feed her. I have tried explaining to them that her stomach is small and since breastmilk is the perfect food it digest quicker. It goes in one ear and out the other with them. I am just soooooo sick of hearing these comments constantly I could scream! When I told my mother how proud I was that i was still bf and that every other person I knew who had babies at the same time wasn't still breastfeeding all she said was "oh". I plan to let my baby self wean so I can just imagine the comments when she passes a year old and is still breastfeeding. UGH! Just had to vent.

jmaw89
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 1:54 AM
Can you go to la leche league? A lot of moms go there to find like minded people!
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 2:03 AM
I get the same things, and I've been breastfeeding for almost two years now. It gets old very quickly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jan. 20, 2014 at 8:52 AM
1 mom liked this
I would just tell them that if they have a problem with it then they don't have to be around you and the baby until she's weaned... otherwise the comments need to stop or you'll start avoiding them to avoid the comments.
LovingFamily21
by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 10:17 AM

I am sorry sweetie, there is nothing worse then being proud of an accomplishment only to have those closest to you bash it. Good job on BFing for any length of time. I know how amazing that is. If they don't like it or support it then just say "oh well, my baby LOVES it and it's absolutely healthy."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)