Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Teeth!

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 8:43 AM
  • 10 Replies
My baby is 9 months old and just cut her first tooth after what seemed like teething forever. She is still breastfed and does well with most solids at this point as well.

For a couple of weeks now, my nipple on the right breast has been extremely sore every timw she nurses. She nurses more often on thay side, not sure if that has anything to do with it. Anyway, i've been working with her on not biting but sometimes she still does it. I don't think it's always on purpose, sometimes I think it's for relief from her teething pain but the bottom line is it hurts, a lot!

I ended up weaning my oldest around this age for the same reason, I just couldn't take the pain anymore, but I really don't want to wean this time around.

Any suggestions as to what I can do to help with the pain ?
by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 8:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gumbeme06
by Sara on Jan. 20, 2014 at 8:45 AM
Watch for signs that she's not eating any more. If she's actively eating she won't be able to bite you. When she does bite put her down for 5 minutes then try again. She'll learn what actions mean no more nursing.
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jan. 20, 2014 at 9:19 AM
The teething saliva can make your nipple raw so let breast milk air dry on your nipple and use lanolin. There's a page in the sticky section called "WHEN BABIES ATTACK!!" that will teach you a little about nursing manners. There's also a page on Kellymom.com that tells a few different ways to teach baby not to bite... even if it just means anticipating and unlatching before it can happen. If she is in pain, treat it 20-30 minutes before an anticipated nursing session.
KarenM42
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 10:49 AM
I followed the advice in the sticky & it worked. It took a while but my baby rarely bites anymore. I didn't want to give up nursing because of biting. Be consistent every time she bites. She will learn that biting=no food.

Quoting MommyO2-6631: The teething saliva can make your nipple raw so let breast milk air dry on your nipple and use lanolin. There's a page in the sticky section called "WHEN BABIES ATTACK!!" that will teach you a little about nursing manners. There's also a page on Kellymom.com that tells a few different ways to teach baby not to bite... even if it just means anticipating and unlatching before it can happen. If she is in pain, treat it 20-30 minutes before an anticipated nursing session.
maliya0608
by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 10:52 AM
Thanks! I will definitely check out the sticky post.
maliya0608
by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 10:54 AM
It usually hurts worse when she first starts to nurse and gets a little better with the longer shes nursing.

Quoting gumbeme06: Watch for signs that she's not eating any more. If she's actively eating she won't be able to bite you. When she does bite put her down for 5 minutes then try again. She'll learn what actions mean no more nursing.
thundersky
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 1:39 PM

you could try origel on ther gums before she eats 

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Jan. 20, 2014 at 4:08 PM
Quoting thundersky:

you could try origel on ther gums before she eatsĀ 

Orajel actually makes the gums harder and the teeth have a harder time going through. Also, unless its the all natural kind, it can hinder the breathing too.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 20, 2014 at 6:40 PM
Treat her teething pain before nursing. Watch for signs of the bite and take her off before she gets the chance. If you miss the signs and she does bite, take her off and set her down somewhere safe and walk away for a few minutes. Try not to react. Many babies like getting a reaction and continue biting for the reaction.
maliya0608
by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 9:00 PM
Yeah, I've noticed if I scream or even say ouch, she just laughs about it. I don't like using orajel and I'm not comfortable with using the teething tablets either. She does have a raw amber necklace and I let her bite on teething toys out of the freezer, as well as frozen fruit in those mesh feeding things. Do you ladies have any other suggestions that are more natural that I can try?

Quoting aehanrahan: Treat her teething pain before nursing. Watch for signs of the bite and take her off before she gets the chance. If you miss the signs and she does bite, take her off and set her down somewhere safe and walk away for a few minutes. Try not to react. Many babies like getting a reaction and continue biting for the reaction.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 10:05 PM
The teething tablets are very safe. I used them with.both of mine. I did occasionally use a baby aspirin when I knew they were not ill in any way.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN