Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Pumping Question...

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 9:45 AM
  • 15 Replies
I'm pregnant with my first and really excited about breastfeeding. I currently still work and will have up to 12 weeks maternity leave before I have to go back to work after he is born.

The wic office is giving me an electric pump that does both breast at a time, and I can pick it up 2 weeks before I go back to work. I asked the lady how often I would need to pump at work and she said it will be the same as the baby's feeding schedule because "it's a supply and demand thing", if he eats every 2 hours, I need to pump every 2 hours while at work. She also said I will sort of just know when it's time to go pump because I will feel the milk.

This may make me sound really stupid, but I have never done this before and don't know anyone who was able to breastfeed...

How do I go about pumping enough for him to eat once I go back to work and he has to take my milk from a bottle? Will I produce more than he will eat in one feeding? I thought you only produced what they needed at the time....I know I need to pump before I go back to work so he will have milk, but how and when do I do this? After he eats?
by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 9:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrssummerlin
by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 9:51 AM

Generally you'll want to pump around 20mins or so each side every 2hrs. For work get a hands free bra to pump with to make it a bit easier. 

You may need to massage your breast during the pumping to help get the milk out, but don't assume that what's in the bottle is all the milk you make. The pump does not pull the milk out as well as your baby can. You'll also know when you're either empty or very close to it. For me it feels like I've deflated, LOL. And as far as knowing when, my breast almost start to itch when it's time for me to pump. Almost 5 mos pumping for my DS and still going. :)

Congrats on your pregnancy! I hope your delivery is smooth and easy and baby is healthy and happy. :)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
20mommy14
by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 9:59 AM
Thanks :-) so to "stock up" after he gets here do I just pump after he eats?

Quoting mrssummerlin:

Generally you'll want to pump around 20mins or so each side every 2hrs. For work get a hands free bra to pump with to make it a bit easier. 

You may need to massage your breast during the pumping to help get the milk out, but don't assume that what's in the bottle is all the milk you make. The pump does not pull the milk out as well as your baby can. You'll also know when you're either empty or very close to it. For me it feels like I've deflated, LOL. And as far as knowing when, my breast almost start to itch when it's time for me to pump. Almost 5 mos pumping for my DS and still going. :)

Congrats on your pregnancy! I hope your delivery is smooth and easy and baby is healthy and happy. :)

cp428
by Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 10:34 AM

Although I know we all feel better knowing we have a "stash" for backup, you really don't need to stock up all that much. Technically all you need when you go back to work is enough for the day. Then what you pump that day is used for the next day, etc. With that said, it's always reassuring to have a little extra "just in case", just be careful that the stash doesn't lead to overfeeding when you're gone. Caregivers tend to want to overfeed bf babies by bottle, while they really only need 1-1.25oz per hour of separation. I'd wait til the baby about 4-6 weeks old before you begin pumping though, so your supply can regulate & you don't cause an oversupply. Then you can pump once a day (usually in the morning you'll get the most) to start building up your stash for when you go back to work. By the time you go back to work, you'll know your baby's feeding schedule & when it's time to pump, Plus you'll know by then what it feels like when you need to pump, you'll start to feel pretty "full" lol. Good luck & congrats!

20mommy14
by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 11:20 AM
Thank you :-) I just worry that I will pump, then right after he will be hungry and I won't have enough to feed him right then....

Quoting cp428:

Although I know we all feel better knowing we have a "stash" for backup, you really don't need to stock up all that much. Technically all you need when you go back to work is enough for the day. Then what you pump that day is used for the next day, etc. With that said, it's always reassuring to have a little extra "just in case", just be careful that the stash doesn't lead to overfeeding when you're gone. Caregivers tend to want to overfeed bf babies by bottle, while they really only need 1-1.25oz per hour of separation. I'd wait til the baby about 4-6 weeks old before you begin pumping though, so your supply can regulate & you don't cause an oversupply. Then you can pump once a day (usually in the morning you'll get the most) to start building up your stash for when you go back to work. By the time you go back to work, you'll know your baby's feeding schedule & when it's time to pump, Plus you'll know by then what it feels like when you need to pump, you'll start to feel pretty "full" lol. Good luck & congrats!

cp428
by Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 11:31 AM

I think we've all had that worry at one point or another :) If you wait a few weeks before you start pumping, you should start to notice a pattern of how long you have between feedings normally. In the first few weeks mine always wanted to eat nearly constantly but started to space out to an hour or two between feedings after a month or two. Even still, as the ladies here will tell you, you're never truly "empty", your breasts are constantly producing milk. So even if you pump & he's hungry right after, you'll still have milk for him, the flow might just be a little slower. I've always found my babies wouldn't nurse for too long their first feeding of the morning, so I could nurse them, then pump right after & still have plenty for them as soon as they were ready to nurse again. You also tend to have more milk first thing in the morning, so that's usually the best time to pump. Also if you're lucky enough to have a baby that starts sleeping through the night early on (sadly neither of mine did!) you can always pump a little bit after you put him down for the night.

Quoting 20mommy14: Thank you :-) I just worry that I will pump, then right after he will be hungry and I won't have enough to feed him right then....

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 20, 2014 at 12:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting 20mommy14: I'm pregnant with my first and really excited about breastfeeding. I currently still work and will have up to 12 weeks maternity leave before I have to go back to work after he is born.

The wic office is giving me an electric pump that does both breast at a time, and I can pick it up 2 weeks before I go back to work. I asked the lady how often I would need to pump at work and she said it will be the same as the baby's feeding schedule because "it's a supply and demand thing", if he eats every 2 hours, I need to pump every 2 hours while at work. She also said I will sort of just know when it's time to go pump because I will feel the milk.
Not everyone can manage every two hours. My rule of thumb: Once for every three hours away, PLUS pump whilke nursing the first feeding of the day, seven days a week. Yes, there will be enough.

This may make me sound really stupid, but I have never done this before and don't know anyone who was able to breastfeed...

How do I go about pumping enough for him to eat once I go back to work and he has to take my milk from a bottle? Will I produce more than he will eat in one feeding?
You will always produce enough. Relax on that. Here's the trick:" Baby gets NO MORE than 1.25 ounces per hour of separation. So if you have an eight hour workday the MOST he can have during that time is ten ounces. Servings of about 2-3 ounces, fed slowly. Baby is held upright., bottle parallel to the floor, a burp after every once. It's called paced feeding and keeps baby from being overfed.
I thought you only produced what they needed at the time....I know I need to pump before I go back to work so he will have milk, but how and when do I do this? After he eats?

TRelax. Don't overthink this. Pump when you like. WHILE nursing tends to be most efficient. If you have eight ounces put away, you're set. One day's pumping is the next day's feeding. No need for a big stash; in fact those can encourage overfeeding so we discoruage big stashes.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 20, 2014 at 12:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope. Your breasts are like faucets, not like jugs. They always make milk. The "water pressure" may be low at first and that might piss him off. That's OK. Pissy babies are good; they encourage supply. Fear the happy baby; they're up to something! **grin**

Quoting 20mommy14: Thank you :-) I just worry that I will pump, then right after he will be hungry and I won't have enough to feed him right then....
20mommy14
by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 1:54 PM
Wonderful :-) thank you again.

Quoting cp428:

I think we've all had that worry at one point or another :) If you wait a few weeks before you start pumping, you should start to notice a pattern of how long you have between feedings normally. In the first few weeks mine always wanted to eat nearly constantly but started to space out to an hour or two between feedings after a month or two. Even still, as the ladies here will tell you, you're never truly "empty", your breasts are constantly producing milk. So even if you pump & he's hungry right after, you'll still have milk for him, the flow might just be a little slower. I've always found my babies wouldn't nurse for too long their first feeding of the morning, so I could nurse them, then pump right after & still have plenty for them as soon as they were ready to nurse again. You also tend to have more milk first thing in the morning, so that's usually the best time to pump. Also if you're lucky enough to have a baby that starts sleeping through the night early on (sadly neither of mine did!) you can always pump a little bit after you put him down for the night.

KarenM42
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 2:01 PM
1 mom liked this
I started pumping a couple weeks before returning to work. I would pump before bed & that's it (didn't get a lot because your milk supply is highest in the morning & decreases throughout the day). I think I only had a couple days worth of milk by the time I went to work. All of my worries were unfounded as I was able to pump enough to replace what baby had eaten plus extra every day that I worked. I never pump on my days off.

Baby is almost a year old & I currently have about a month's worth of milk in my freezer. My point is, you only need enough "stash" to feed baby the first day you are gone. You will be fine!
20mommy14
by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 2:57 PM
Thank you for this information. :-)

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting 20mommy14: I'm pregnant with my first and really excited about breastfeeding. I currently still work and will have up to 12 weeks maternity leave before I have to go back to work after he is born.

Not everyone can manage every two hours. My rule of thumb: Once for every three hours away, PLUS pump whilke nursing the first feeding of the day, seven days a week. Yes, there will be enough.

How do I go about pumping enough for him to eat once I go back to work and he has to take my milk from a bottle? Will I produce more than he will eat in one feeding?
You will always produce enough. Relax on that. Here's the trick:" Baby gets NO MORE than 1.25 ounces per hour of separation. So if you have an eight hour workday the MOST he can have during that time is ten ounces. Servings of about 2-3 ounces, fed slowly. Baby is held upright., bottle parallel to the floor, a burp after every once. It's called paced feeding and keeps baby from being overfed.
I thought you only produced what they needed at the time....I know I need to pump before I go back to work so he will have milk, but how and when do I do this? After he eats?

TRelax. Don't overthink this. Pump when you like. WHILE nursing tends to be most efficient. If you have eight ounces put away, you're set. One day's pumping is the next day's feeding. No need for a big stash; in fact those can encourage overfeeding so we discoruage big stashes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)