Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

She can pump in the bathroom.

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 9:50 AM
  • 51 Replies
Really? This was just said to me by a high school principal. I'm at a different school than I work at for training and I asked if there's a place I can pump. Nurses office has a huge window to observe the students. All conference rooms have windows without blinds. I'm so disappointed in what used to be my algebra teacher now hS principal. I said has no one ever asked for a place, she said yeah but we told them to use the bathroom! I informed her that's illegal and she back pedaled but yeah. I'm in the nurses office with my shirt and sweater over my pump but not everyone has a hands free pump to do that! Argh
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 9:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jan. 21, 2014 at 9:53 AM
So they still haven't provided you a private place to pump??
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 21, 2014 at 9:56 AM
5 moms liked this
Nope! Don't plan to either! I was told use the bathroom. I'm only here til noon so not worth the fight today but I will be back in feb for training and you better believe I will have a letter out to the county human resources before then!
angelchewning
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Yes!!!

Quoting tabi_cat1023: Nope! Don't plan to either! I was told use the bathroom. I'm only here til noon so not worth the fight today but I will be back in feb for training and you better believe I will have a letter out to the county human resources before then!

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:56 AM
3 moms liked this
How awful that it's 2014 and they haven't figured that out yet. :-(
cp428
by Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Right? I really don't understand how so many employers still haven't figured out that that's unacceptable (and in most cases, illegal!)

Quoting mostlymaydays: How awful that it's 2014 and they haven't figured that out yet. :-(

K8wizzo
by Kate on Jan. 21, 2014 at 1:42 PM

Just a question, Tabi.... as a salary employee, are you still covered by the pumping laws?  I've heard that many schools around here are claiming to be exempt because teachers aren't wage payroll.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 21, 2014 at 2:10 PM
Ugh! ☹

Quoting mostlymaydays: How awful that it's 2014 and they haven't figured that out yet. :-(
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jan. 21, 2014 at 2:15 PM
4 moms liked this
And it's sad that breastfeeding isn't so ridiculously common that this issue wouldn't have straightened itself out sooner.

Quoting aehanrahan: Ugh! ☹

spitfire06
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 2:18 PM
My Husband would make me figure out who to contact
Marti123
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 2:43 PM
1 mom liked this
So frustrating, so many damn barriers. I am sitting here pumping one breast at a time, because my valve membrane tore. And I am in the damn hospital, do you think they could give me one, oh hell no, does the little pharmacy sell them, oh hell no, do the rest of my co-workers support me running down the street to target to get one, so my soon to be 4 month old can get the milk she needs, oh hell no, societal norms can suck at times........
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN