Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Reasons why baby pulls away from the breast and cries....

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 6:07 AM
  • 22 Replies
I see a lot of mamas asking this question, including myself.

Just wanted to go over what could be the reasons that our lo's may be pulling away from our breast and crying, while trying to nurse.

This happens to me. I know she's hungry because she keeps going back to the breast, will suck a few times and then pull away again and cry.

We had thrush and thought that may be the reason, took care of it. Then low supply, took care of that. So, now she doesn't do it as often but still does it.

What are some other reasons why our lo's do this?

l
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 6:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 6:18 AM
Overactive letdown/oversupply. Baby feels like she's trying to drink from a fire hose. Lip and tongue ties which interfere with proper latch.
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 6:18 AM
Overactive let down
Bottle preference
I've heard that a ptt can cause nursing to be painful for baby as well because it's so much work to stay latched on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Jan. 22, 2014 at 6:43 AM
2 moms liked this
It depends on when baby does it. At the beginning of a session, it's usually because of forceful letdown. If towards the middle, it can be out of frustration at the slower flow and baby doesn't know staying on with more vigorous sucking will trigger another letdown. Sometimes, it can be that baby needs to burp or just wants to comfort suck but milk is continuing to come out.
ilovemykids732
by Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 6:54 AM
My ds does it because of over active letdown... He will pull away and my nipple is squirting all over his face lol!!
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jan. 22, 2014 at 7:05 AM
DS pulled away and cried because of ties (the very first time we even tried too). It can be due to bottle preference. OAL. Gas. Growth Spurt. There are a lot of reasons for it.
nicolett80
by Nicole on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:47 AM
I don't think mine is from overactive letdown, because I never squirt or really leak for that matter. Lol.

I know it's also not caused by bottle preference because she's never had one.

Pretty sure it's not tongue tie or lip tie. Not 100% sure, but pretty sure.

So for my lo, gas could be it. I had been taking liquid Fenugreek, advice heard that can cause gas.

Possibly comfort sucking too, but not sure what I can do about that because we don't give her a pacifier. .
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 22, 2014 at 9:16 AM

1. Trying ti stimulate more milk. This is a "let it happen" situation.

2. Fast letdown. This is a "change your position" situation.

3. Teething pain. This is a "treat the pain" situation.

And sometimes it's for no reason AT ALL. 

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 9:31 AM
Quoting nicolett80: I don't think mine is from overactive letdown, because I never squirt or really leak for that matter. Lol.

So for my lo, gas could be it. I had been taking liquid Fenugreek, advice heard that can cause gas.

Possibly comfort sucking too, but not sure what I can do about that because we don't give her a pacifier. .
on

Why the fenugreek? Diaper count is your true indicator of supply. You want six diapers in twenty four hours with at least two quarter sized poops. After 8-12 weeks, babies poop less often but more profusely. Leaking, squirting and pump output mean very little. Try reclined nursing; you lean back, baby goes tummy-to-tummy with you vertically rather than horizontally, mouth over rather than under the nipple.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

jamie101789
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this
I've tried reclined nursing.. vertically and what not.. and its like my boob is suffocating her lol.

Quoting MusherMaggie:
Quoting nicolett80: I don't think mine is from overactive letdown, because I never squirt or really leak for that matter. Lol.

on

Why the fenugreek? Diaper count is your true indicator of supply. You want six diapers in twenty four hours with at least two quarter sized poops. After 8-12 weeks, babies poop less often but more profusely. Leaking, squirting and pump output mean very little. Try reclined nursing; you lean back, baby goes tummy-to-tummy with you vertically rather than horizontally, mouth over rather than under the nipple.
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:20 AM
Does she do it on one particular breast? At what point in the feeding?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)