Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Question about insurance covered breast pumps...

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 4:52 PM
  • 13 Replies
I just found out my insurance will cover a breast pump, and gave me the name to a couple of places to check in to. Bad thing: they will only cover a pump up to $150. Is there a decent pump under $150? I will only need to use it for when I am gone for work in the evenings (I work part time, usually a four hour shift a night).

Would it be worth it to get a pump through insurance or just buy my own?
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 4:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 22, 2014 at 5:18 PM

Typically they will pay UP TO $150; so if that means you buy a $300 pump you will get $150 back.

The Ameda Purely Yours runs about $150 and that's as cheap as I'd go.

Hannahsmommy816
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 5:23 PM

i also work part time (weekends) 4hr shifts usually and pump once. i have a Hygeia but that is a $300 pump but i love it

my friend got an Ameda and the suction sucked, she couldnt pump hardly anything out! I gave her my Medela hand pump (not electric) and she is able to pump while at work

Georgie2
by Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 5:59 PM
My insurance paid for a Lansinoh. I was skeptical, but it works great for me. I work full time and need to pump 8-10oz per day.
MinaPR
by Mina on Jan. 22, 2014 at 6:40 PM
Gat a Hygeia. The one without internal battery goes for about $279; but its worth it. If you can't do that, then the Ameda.
Secretly101
by Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 6:43 PM
What insurance do you have? I heard that all insurance companies have to cover breast pumps due to the new Affordable Care Act.

Quoting lind.shep: I just found out my insurance will cover a breast pump, and gave me the name to a couple of places to check in to. Bad thing: they will only cover a pump up to $150. Is there a decent pump under $150? I will only need to use it for when I am gone for work in the evenings (I work part time, usually a four hour shift a night).

Lindsey1112
by Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 6:49 PM
I don't know if I had a limit. I never got a choice what pump I got. I had to go to a medical supply place (earliest was 2 weeks before due date).
I went in and told them I wanted a breast pump and my insurance would cover it, she went and grabbed one and that's what I got. I love mine if works great I think the price on mine was $180 or 190. They did tell me I would get a bill if the insurance wouldn't cover it and I never did.
I have a medela advance personal double breast pump.
lind.shep
by Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 7:56 PM
I have BCBS TX.

Quoting Secretly101: What insurance do you have? I heard that all insurance companies have to cover breast pumps due to the new Affordable Care Act.

Quoting lind.shep: I just found out my insurance will cover a breast pump, and gave me the name to a couple of places to check in to. Bad thing: they will only cover a pump up to $150. Is there a decent pump under $150? I will only need to use it for when I am gone for work in the evenings (I work part time, usually a four hour shift a night).

lind.shep
by Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 7:58 PM
1 mom liked this
I was hoping for a medela. Guess I will just have to wait and see.

Quoting Lindsey1112: I don't know if I had a limit. I never got a choice what pump I got. I had to go to a medical supply place (earliest was 2 weeks before due date).

I went in and told them I wanted a breast pump and my insurance would cover it, she went and grabbed one and that's what I got. I love mine if works great I think the price on mine was $180 or 190. They did tell me I would get a bill if the insurance wouldn't cover it and I never did.

I have a medela advance personal double breast pump.
hip2it
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:06 PM
I think I paid $300 for the medela pump in style advanced and it works great for me. I've used the medela swing in the last and it got nothing out of me. I've used the medela hand pump from the hospital in a pinch and got good results but its a pain to use. I once rented from a hospital and that thing was awesome.
Secretly101
by Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:57 PM
Ok I have United Healthcare.

Quoting Secretly101: What insurance do you have? I heard that all insurance companies have to cover breast pumps due to the new Affordable Care Act.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)