Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Going back to work

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 5:05 PM
  • 5 Replies

I'm going back to work in about 2 weeks. I pumped frequently right after my son was born (11-24-13) and I was able to get up to 6 ozs at a time for some pumping sessions. I froze all the milk I pumped. I stopped pumping and have been EBF.  I need to start pumping again more regularly since I go back to work February 10.  I have tried pumping a few times over the last few days and I'm barely get 2 oz.  my right side definitely produces more than my left.  I pump for a minimum of 20 minutes. I have the Medela pump in style pump. I work in a school so I'm limited to when I can pump. With my daughter, I pumped on my way to and from work in the car (7 am and 3 pm) and then during my lunch 11:45 ish. I also tried to pump during my prep whenever it happened to fall during the day.  I guess I need some support / suggestions / advice. When my husband fed my son a bottle the other day that was only 2 oz he was looking to eat again in less than an hour. On another occasion, he fed him 4 oz and he lasted his normal 3.5 hours. I'm worried I'm not going to be able to pump enough once I go back to work since I was able to pump 6 oz and now only about 2.

by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 5:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 22, 2014 at 5:21 PM
The 6 ounces was major oversupply and not expected to continue. Normal pump output is 1/2-2 ounces between both breasts for a missed feeding. If you're getting 2 ounces between feedings, you're likely to get more when you're pumping for a missed feeding. Start pumping first thing every morning to train your body to respond to the pump regularly. If you nurse right before you leave and as soon as you return, you won't need as much milk. You would need about 2-3 ounces to be given every 2-3 hours between those two nursing sessions. The bottles should be fed slowly with the baby sitting up and the bottle parallel to the floor so the milk doesn't pour into his mouth, stopping after each ounce, burp, and switch sides.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 22, 2014 at 5:23 PM

Quoting kph916:

I'm going back to work in about 2 weeks. I pumped frequently right after my son was born (11-24-13) and I was able to get up to 6 ozs at a time for some pumping sessions.

That was really HIGH output, and happens in the earlu engorgement stages. We call it "freak of nature output." **grin**

I froze all the milk I pumped. I stopped pumping and have been EBF.  I need to start pumping again more regularly since I go back to work February 10.  I have tried pumping a few times over the last few days and I'm barely get 2 oz.  

PERFECT!

my right side definitely produces more than my left.  I pump for a minimum of 20 minutes. I have the Medela pump in style pump

Your'e fine. Two ounces is NORMAL max output. Baby's need is 1- 1.25 ounces per hour of separation.

I work in a school so I'm limited to when I can pump. With my daughter, I pumped on my way to and from work in the car (7 am and 3 pm) and then during my lunch 11:45 ish.

So you're gone about 8 hours? You need 8 - 10 ounces for the whole day.

I also tried to pump during my prep whenever it happened to fall during the day.  I guess I need some support / suggestions / advice.

Relax would be the first thing. You sound perfect and don't know it!

When my husband fed my son a bottle the other day that was only 2 oz he was looking to eat again in less than an hour.

That's fine.

On another occasion, he fed him 4 oz and he lasted his normal 3.5 hours.

No such thing as a "normal" interval... it may be what you're accustomed to but ALL feeding intervals are fine. Baby should be fed SLOWLY... held in an upright position, bottle parallel to the floor, a burp after every ounce and the feeding should be about three ounces total. Lots of little meals is GOOD, but no bottles after about 2 PM if you're heading home at three.

I'm worried I'm not going to be able to pump enough once I go back to work since I was able to pump 6 oz and now only about 2.

Actually, I'd be worried about the caregiver overfeeding the baby. Your pump output is perfect.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 22, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Quoting kph916:

I'm going back to work in about 2 weeks. I pumped frequently right after my son was born (11-24-13) and I was able to get up to 6 ozs at a time for some pumping sessions.crazy high versupply...common in the beginning I froze all the milk I pumped. I stopped pumping and have been EBF. uh oh that usually really kills pump response I need to start pumping again more regularly since I go back to work February 10.  I have tried pumping a few times over the last few days and I'm barely get 2 oz.  thats pretty god while EBFing.  Wrk to pump atleast once a day from now on to keep a god responsemy right side definitely produces more than my left.  normalI pump for a minimum of 20 minutes. I have the Medela pump in style pump. I work in a school so I'm limited to when I can pump.maybe maybe not...With my daughter, I pumped on my way to and from work in the car (7 am and 3 pm) and then during my lunch 11:45 ish.this is exactly what I do now..Im a teacherI also tried to pump during my prep whenever it happened to fall during the day.  I guess I need some support / suggestions / advice. When my husband fed my son a bottle the other day that was only 2 oz he was looking to eat again in less than an hour. did he used paced botte feeding? babies not used to a bottle will eat too fast and not feel full.On another occasion, he fed him 4 oz and he lasted his normal 3.5 hours. 4oz every 3.5 hours would be fine to giveI'm worried I'm not going to be able to pump enough once I go back to work since I was able to pump 6 oz and now only about 2.once away from baby you WILL be pumping more.  Pump on the way to and from and lunch for sure.  I found my daily toal stayed the same whether I pumped 3 times or 4 s I just stayed at 3.  You need about 1 oz an hour.  I bet you can do that just fine

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 22, 2014 at 6:48 PM

BTW momma, welcome to the group! I am a teacher and have pumped at work with now 3 of my kiddos.  I struggled with my first one and got better with each one. Feel free to hit me up for any ideas or questions you may have!

angelchewning
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:09 PM

welcome! im a full time working mom too, Dont let yourself stress too much (easier said than done) tons of us here do it (work and pump) successfully!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN