Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Baby sick at night -- ideas? (PIOG)

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2014 at 1:57 AM
  • 7 Replies

DD2 just turned 1.  

Wednesday night she was sick 3 times total in 12 hours (not too much, I know).  

She was projectile vomiting but was happy in between pukings.  

She was sick at 6am Thurs. morning and then good the rest of the day.  She only had breastmilk all day. 

This morning she was sick around 4am, after waking up clearly in pain. 

Tonight she was clearly in pain again and she threw up, went to sleep and then woke up in pain again, and threw up again.  

Any ideas what could be causing her to be sick only at night?  She's only had breastmilk since Wed. night.  She's never been one to spit up much or throw up.  Honestly, until Wednesday, she hadn't been sick at all her first year.  

The doc thought it was Noro virus, but that should be done by now.  

by on Jan. 25, 2014 at 1:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 2:46 AM
Idk. That happened to me a lot as a kid. I'd get sick the night a school vacation started and I'd be sick every night for at least a week. I drank a lot of pedialyte. I don't have advice though, as I never figured out what it was.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 6:14 AM
Is she eating something new, or are you? What position does she nurse in at night? If it's not happening during the day, I don't think it's a bug. It might be reflux, however. Has it ever happened before, or just recently?
anxiousschk
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 10:56 AM

Neither one of us is eating anything new.  She hasn't eaten anything other than bm since Wed. night.  I haven't been eating a ton of anything since I got sick soon after she did.  However, I'm still producing just fine. 

She lies on her side to nurse at night, always has, since birth.  

It's never happened before Wed. night.  She's literally never thrown up until Wed. night.  She had some small spit up episodes at the beginning, but even those went away by around 3 months or so.  

Quoting MusherMaggie: Is she eating something new, or are you? What position does she nurse in at night? If it's not happening during the day, I don't think it's a bug. It might be reflux, however. Has it ever happened before, or just recently?

K8wizzo
by Kate on Jan. 25, 2014 at 10:58 AM
2 thoughts: weird virus, perhaps one with post nasal drainage where mucus running down her throat at night is making her puke or just a stomach bug, or reflux. If it goes away in the next couple of days, virus. If not, I'd investigate reflux a bit further.
anxiousschk
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Could reflux show up so randomly?  

I'm pretty sure my first had it and it was undiagnosed.  We had projectile spit up/throw up from the start, so I'm just not used it to randomly starting.  

I'm thinking it might be the weird virus, though her temp is back to normal.  I just hate seeing her hurt :(

Quoting K8wizzo: 2 thoughts: weird virus, perhaps one with post nasal drainage where mucus running down her throat at night is making her puke or just a stomach bug, or reflux. If it goes away in the next couple of days, virus. If not, I'd investigate reflux a bit further.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Jan. 25, 2014 at 11:39 AM
It can show up or reappear randomly. I'm hoping it's just a weird virus and that she's feeling better soon! Another thought--extra drool from teething could upset her tummy, too.

Quoting anxiousschk:

I'm pretty sure my first had it and it was undiagnosed.  We had projectile spit up/throw up from the start, so I'm just not used it to randomly starting.  

I'm thinking it might be the weird virus, though her temp is back to normal.  I just hate seeing her hurt :(

Quoting K8wizzo: 2 thoughts: weird virus, perhaps one with post nasal drainage where mucus running down her throat at night is making her puke or just a stomach bug, or reflux. If it goes away in the next couple of days, virus. If not, I'd investigate reflux a bit further.

anxiousschk
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 2:53 PM

I wondered about that!  She's drooling a lot less than she used to but she does have 2 or 3 teeth coming in on the top.  We checked the almighty google and were told that it is rare for vomiting to occur with teething.  

Maybe she's swallowing the drool instead of letting it fall out of her mouth?  She also finally pooped a decent amount (after a week of no poo) so hopefully she will be back on track tonight.  

Quoting K8wizzo: It can show up or reappear randomly. I'm hoping it's just a weird virus and that she's feeling better soon! Another thought--extra drool from teething could upset her tummy, too.

Quoting anxiousschk:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)