Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

will my supply really drop if I only nurse 2-3 times daily?

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 3:01 PM
  • 12 Replies
I'm getting ready to really drop some nursing sessions now that DD is 1. I would like to nurse in the morning and evening, and maybe pump once in the day. I've never had supply issues but I've heard milk can decrease with long intervals. She was EBF until I started solids recently.
by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 3:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 3:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Your supply will decrease to match your kid nursing less. You'll still be making as much milk as you need for those two to three nursing sessions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 27, 2014 at 3:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Your supply will adjust to the change in demand. She will get milk when she nurses.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 4:29 PM
1 mom liked this
If you will allow her to nurse 3-4 times daily, she will not need any other milk.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

mahogany_mum
by Charlee on Jan. 27, 2014 at 6:16 PM
Right now this is my schedule -

6am breastfeed
10am pump so she gets a bottle
2pm pump so she gets a bottle
5pm breastfeed
8pm breastfeed
10pm breastfeed

I'd like to change it to -
6am breastfeed
4pm breastfeed
10pm breastfeed

Will this work if I cut out some sessions gradually?

Quoting MusherMaggie: If you will allow her to nurse 3-4 times daily, she will not need any other milk.
micheledo
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 6:46 PM

It should work!  I think the general 'rule' is cut out one nursing time a week.  I would cut out one of the pumping times each week until you are down to just nursing.

Quoting mahogany_mum: Right now this is my schedule -

6am breastfeed
5pm breastfeed
8pm breastfeed
10pm breastfeed

6am breastfeed
4pm breastfeed
10pm breastfeed

Quoting MusherMaggie: If you will allow her to nurse 3-4 times daily, she will not need any other milk.

isaacsmommy68
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 6:52 PM

I would start pumping one time a day fora week or so then stop. Take your pump just incase. That is how I weanned from the pump. I took a hand pump for a few months. I got very engorged a few times and used it. Your supply will adjust. It is so nice to drop the pump!

uote name="micheledo" id="0"]

It should work!  I think the general 'rule' is cut out one nursing time a week.  I would cut out one of the pumping times each week until you are down to just nursing.

Quoting mahogany_mum: Right now this is my schedule -

6am breastfeed
5pm breastfeed
8pm breastfeed
10pm breastfeed

6am breastfeed
4pm breastfeed
10pm breastfeed

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 27, 2014 at 7:13 PM

I dnt blame you for cutting the pumping sessions...pumping sucks, do  you work? Or just decided to pump

HollyAnne59
by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 12:07 PM

It will decrease to match your need but if you're still worried try "Milky" it's great for keeping supply up!

mahogany_mum
by Charlee on Jan. 28, 2014 at 1:14 PM
I work full time. I spend every break in the pump room. I hate it, but what I hate is irrelevant when it comes to what my baby needs. She's starting to eat more solids each day so I think I can cut back. Its hard when I know that breast milk is the best for her.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

I dnt blame you for cutting the pumping sessions...pumping sucks, do  you work? Or just decided to pump

Seniahmom
by Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 1:48 PM
1 mom liked this
When I was weaning from pumping it work I tried just dropping a pump session and moving my second one up. First day I was ok, second painfully engorged. So I cut my morning session to a five minute relief an did a regular session in afternoon for a week or two. The following week I did single pumps MWF and a short and a reg on T & R for a week or two. Then I dropped the first session and did the other midday. I kept the single session til 15 months (my preference). Then I shortened that session. Then dropped days. Then stopped entirely. But if I was going to be away from LO for more than 24 hrs I brought at least a manual pump (learned that the hard way - I got way engorged and had a plugged duct. No fun). Still nursing LO at 27 months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN