Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Im sinking and not ready to give up! help

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 7:20 AM
  • 25 Replies
So I've been back to work since before my now 8mo son was less than 6 weeks. since I've been back its been hard bf and getting breaks so my supply dropped really low my leche counseled me told me about my rights and recommended i drink more water and try to pump more. but now that he's older the breaks to pump are getting few and fewer by the weeks it seems. he also now has 3.5 teeth and often bites down when he is done. this is really painful. i want to keep bf at least until he's able to drink cows milk(recom.around 12m). but he needs milk until that time and Im not sure what to do. I've tried formula and a variety he's just not taking to them. any suggestions would be grateful. i even went as far as to try and locate a bf bank but there is not one in my town. help!?!
by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 7:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cbear2
by Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 7:28 AM
Try mothers milk tea, and when your home pump like crazy! I cant pump at work so i feed dd and pump before i go work and pump when i get home then wait an hour and pump again. I work evenings so even on my nights off by midnight 1am i am full. If u have to wake up a couple times a night to pump.
mama-smurf
by Felisha on Feb. 3, 2014 at 7:38 AM
1 mom liked this
Try pumping either at night or in the morning or when baby is nursing pump on opposite side Thats when your milk is the highest. Drink water while pumping. Relax. Do not stress.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 8:08 AM
Pump every day, working or not. He only needs 1-1.25 ounces per hour of separation. It should be fed slowly, baby held sitting, bottle parallel to the floor, burped after each ounce. 2-3 ounce portions offered every 2-3 hours. This amount does not change because the milk itself changes to meet his needs. Look up and print off a copy of "Bottlefeeding the Breastfed Baby" on kellymom.com.

For the biting: "When Babies Attack" in the resources sticky and "Nursing Manners" on kellymom.com.
iSMILEheCRIES
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 9:10 AM
Pump while driving! It saves so much time and will give you an extra session or two. I only pump one side because I don't have a hands free bra. I had supply issues a few weeks back and it only took 3 days of pumping every 2 hours to be back to normal. If you want to try formula, try Gerber goodstart gentle- it taste more like warm milk (almost like milk that's been sitting out for too long, I know that sounds gross but better than normal formula taste/smell). Also this is just a thought, might be a bad one, but if you are only doing 1-2 formula bottles a day could you use the better tasting toddler formula. But I'd let someone else weigh in on that. Good luck, pumping every 2 hours really is the best long term answer.
anitaredd
by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 9:58 AM
How tough. Phenugreek tea helps supply.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 3, 2014 at 10:22 AM

Explain to me what is going on...is it an issue not pumping enough? how much can you pump, how much is LO taking, how many hours away?  How often do you pump?

Have you taken anything to raise supply?

Forget milk  banks, if you need donor milk then there are places for free milk, banks are $5-8 an OUNCE!

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 3, 2014 at 1:28 PM
What she said! The answers to these questions will help us to help you.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Explain to me what is going on...is it an issue not pumping enough? how much can you pump, how much is LO taking, how many hours away?  How often do you pump?

Forget milk  banks, if you need donor milk then there are places for free milk, banks are $5-8 an OUNCE!

Tydie01
by Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 7:23 AM
Lol when babies attack huh...lol yeah I'll definitely be reading that. Thanks for the resources

Quoting MusherMaggie: Pump every day, working or not. He only needs 1-1.25 ounces per hour of separation. It should be fed slowly, baby held sitting, bottle parallel to the floor, burped after each ounce. 2-3 ounce portions offered every 2-3 hours. This amount does not change because the milk itself changes to meet his needs. Look up and print off a copy of "Bottlefeeding the Breastfed Baby" on kellymom.com.

For the biting: "When Babies Attack" in the resources sticky and "Nursing Manners" on kellymom.com.
Tydie01
by Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 7:35 AM
I am a manager and often times I'm the only manager so some days I GI my entire shift (8-9hours) without a break. If I do get a break I'm interrupted so the pumping is a no go because people walk-in on me. When I do get a chance to pump I'm only getting 2-3 oZ. When I started I was getting nearly 8oz. Per breast. My son now slaps my breasts to sign nothings coming out. I change him to the other side and when that side is empty and he is still hungry I feed him baby food. So this has been going smoothly to make up for the low supply but I have been worried that he's not getting the proper nutrition for brain development and growth. And there are no places for free milk in my area I've tried. We have a wic office that offers formula which I have regrettably thought about signing up for. I'm trying to hold out because he will be one in a few months then he can go to drinking cows milk. But u still would like to nurse him at night until he's about 18months.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Seximama23
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 8:53 AM
Try using a warm compress. .eating oatmeal..and drink a large glass of water while nursing. And have you ever tried switch nursing? Your breasts never "empty" completely. When he gets tired of working hard switch sides..keep switching until he stops latching. I do this with my 3 month old tongue tied baby boy. And massage while nursing helps too..at least for me and my son.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)