Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A question about baby led weaning....

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:41 AM
  • 16 Replies

Maybe I'm being way too literal, but a lot of what I read says to do it only if you are exclusively breastfeeding. What if you supplement with formula. At one of my jobs I'm not able to pump (time constraint) so it's limited my supply. As a result my 5 month old daughter drinks about 4-8 ounces a day of formula (about 1-2 bottles) and is otherwise fed breastmilk (by bottle or breast). Any ideas? 

Edit: by BLW I'm talking about introducing solids, not ending breast-feeding.

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nocalmegan
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:45 AM
How old is she? After a year you can stop the formula all together and let her wean from the breast on her own. Dd just turned a year and only nurses 3-4x a day.
LillyVirgoMama
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:19 AM

Quoting nocalmegan: How old is she? After a year you can stop the formula all together and let her wean from the breast on her own. Dd just turned a year and only nurses 3-4x a day.

She is almost 6 months

polkaspots
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:33 AM
1 mom liked this
Are you talking about when your little one starts food or stops breastfeeding? Because in my experience babies done self wean, they're toddlers at that point. Both things are called baby led weaning by some because weaning starts with solid food.
If you're talking about weaning then I agree with pp, you stop the formula at one and have her stop nursing whenever.
If you're talking about baby eating food, they're usually ready to eat between six and eight months when they're sitting up and able to feed themselves. The rule is to nurse or give milk or formula before hand until they turn one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LillyVirgoMama
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:51 AM

Quoting polkaspots: Are you talking about when your little one starts food or stops breastfeeding? Because in my experience babies done self wean, they're toddlers at that point. Both things are called baby led weaning by some because weaning starts with solid food.
If you're talking about weaning then I agree with pp, you stop the formula at one and have her stop nursing whenever.
If you're talking about baby eating food, they're usually ready to eat between six and eight months when they're sitting up and able to feed themselves. The rule is to nurse or give milk or formula before hand until they turn one.

I'm talking about introducing solids. Thanks

nocalmegan
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:55 AM
If she's sitting up, lost her tongue thrust, and can pick up small pieces of food and put them in her mouth then you can introduce solids. Always nurse first. DDs favorites are avocado and banana :)

Quoting LillyVirgoMama:

Quoting polkaspots: Are you talking about when your little one starts food or stops breastfeeding? Because in my experience babies done self wean, they're toddlers at that point. Both things are called baby led weaning by some because weaning starts with solid food.

LillyVirgoMama
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 5:01 AM

Ok. She is defiantly not there yet. I was asking though, because I wondered if maybe I should start early since she isn't exclusively breastfeed and maybe not getting all the nutrients she needs.

Quoting nocalmegan: If she's sitting up, lost her tongue thrust, and can pick up small pieces of food and put them in her mouth then you can introduce solids. Always nurse first. DDs favorites are avocado and banana :)

Quoting LillyVirgoMama:

polkaspots
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 5:07 AM
:) I start by giving food at one meal a day and add another every few months. They were getting three meals and two snacks around their first birthdays.

Quoting LillyVirgoMama:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 7:57 AM
Go slowly with solids. They are not nutritionally necessary before one year, so they don't actually have to eat much of them when they're just trying them out. As said above, always nurse before solids. She will get the nutrition she needs from both breastmilk and formula. After a year, drop the formula gradually. After a year, as long as she nurses 3-4 times a day, she will need no other milk. She can have water and solids while you're away and nurse while you're at home, and you don't have to nurse before solids after a year.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:52 AM
Nope. She's getting only a small amount of formula. Just wait. :)

Quoting LillyVirgoMama:

Ok. She is defiantly not there yet. I was asking though, because I wondered if maybe I should start early since she isn't exclusively breastfeed and maybe not getting all the nutrients she needs.

Quoting nocalmegan: If she's sitting up, lost her tongue thrust, and can pick up small pieces of food and put them in her mouth then you can introduce solids. Always nurse first. DDs favorites are avocado and banana :)

Quoting LillyVirgoMama:

maggiemom2000
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:55 AM

Babyled weaning, where baby self feeds most of their solids as oopposed to getting purees off of a spoon is good for ALL babies!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)