Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hi, new to all this...

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:34 AM
  • 6 Replies
I am 18 weeks along with my third child, we just found out its a boy!! I have one of each already but both were bottle fed formula, I was young and misinformed when they were babies, but this time around I would like to breastfeed!! My first concern is the fact that my nipple has stung and burned so far this whole pregnancy, I dont remember my nipples hurting at all my other two pregnancies and Im afraid its going to hurt really bad to breastfeed. I have every intention of trying until at least 6 weeks but Id like to go til a year or more, maybe even let baby wean on his own. I do have a lot of support this time around, I have a midwife and will be doing a homebirth, most of the women I know with infants right now breastfeed, so im sure I will have plenty of help and advice from them, but is there anything I should know before this baby comes? I know my milk wont come in for a couple of days and baby will get everything he needs from the colostrum and then im going to get engorged when my milk comes in, other than that, everything will be completely new to me!! And whats with my nipples hurting so much already, is this stinging sensation normal?
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
cp428
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome & congrats! You've come to the right place, the ladies in this group are so knowledgable. As far as your nipples hurting, I had this with my first pregnancy but not my second. It didn't seem to make a difference when the baby came as far as any discomfort with breastfeeding though. Read this group for a couple of weeks and you'll likely know more than most doctors and even "lactation consultants" about breastfeeding. These ladies can help you understand all the common misconceptions & pitfalls to help you be successful!

maggiemom2000
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this

What you are feeling in your nipples right now is the work of the hormones preparing your breasts for breastfeeding. This is not how they will feel when baby arrives, and it is very unlikely they will feel like this through the whole pregnancy, it will probably go away when you start producing colostrum in the next month or so.

Not everyone gets engorged when their milk comes in, you could get lucky! You are also less likely to with a homebirth because some of the medications moms often get during labor in the hospital, like pitocin, make engorgement worse. With an unmedicated birth breastfeeding usually goes a bit more smoothly.

tairakittie
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:55 AM
Thank you!! :) I really hope the colostrum helps them feel better, a little relief would be nice. lol
angelchewning
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Welcome to the group! youll like it here!

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:43 AM
1 mom liked this
Read posts here and on kellymom.com. Two books: "So That's What They're For" by Janet Tamaro & "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" from La Leche League. Ask anything that comes to mind! :-)
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:53 PM
This and what everyone else said.

Quoting MusherMaggie: Read posts here and on kellymom.com. Two books: "So That's What They're For" by Janet Tamaro & "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" from La Leche League. Ask anything that comes to mind! :-)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)