Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Omg i need help

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:23 PM
  • 15 Replies
Ok i know there is only so much help i can get here without someone actually being here but im misarable! My baby is 3 days old. Her latch is so bad, i cannot get her mouth open big enough to get enough nipple. The lc before leaving the hospital told me i needed to make a nipple sandwich by squeezing and badically cram as much in as possible. It wasnt real successful with her help because baby was too sleepy. Now my milk is in and its too hard to squeeze it together like she showed me. So im pretty much on day 3 of her eating just off the nipple. My body aches from the awful positioning and my nipples... Well u can imagine. How can i get her mouth open larger???
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Do reverse pressure softening. Here is where it's at but I can't make it clicky as I'm mobile:
http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/rev_pressure_soft_cotterman/

Here's something else too:
http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/engorgement/
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:28 PM

Quoting Junebaby18: Do reverse pressure softening. Here is where it's at but I can't make it clicky as I'm mobile:
http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/rev_pressure_soft_cotterman/

Here's something else too:
http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/engorgement/

clicky

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:28 PM

Did anyone check baby for a lip or tongue tie?

cem9532
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:38 PM
She was checked out by 2 ped, they checked her suck reflex, i figured they would automatically check for a tie but im not sure. I will ask at her appt tomorrow.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Did anyone check baby for a lip or tongue tie?

blessedmommy85
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:50 PM
Can you pump a little to relieve some engorgement to try the boob sandwich
MommyO2-6631
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:00 PM
Hand express to make the breast a little softer. Also I like making the "V" with the pointer and middle finger a little more than the boob sandwich. It makes the nipple a little more prominent for me. Just put the pointer above the nipple, middle finer below and put a little pressure on the breast. Remember to unlatch her each and every single time she does it wrong. She will learn faster than way.
cem9532
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:14 PM
I actually didnt buy one yet, then they told me not to use one for a couple weeks so i thought id have time, but im prob gonna buy one today.

Quoting blessedmommy85: Can you pump a little to relieve some engorgement to try the boob sandwich
cem9532
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:15 PM
Im gonna try hand expressing, but they hurt so bad i dont know if i can tolerate. I will try the v you described for sure.

Quoting MommyO2-6631: Hand express to make the breast a little softer. Also I like making the "V" with the pointer and middle finger a little more than the boob sandwich. It makes the nipple a little more prominent for me. Just put the pointer above the nipple, middle finer below and put a little pressure on the breast. Remember to unlatch her each and every single time she does it wrong. She will learn faster than way.
cem9532
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:16 PM
I an quite large chested as well if that matters
mama-smurf
by Felisha on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:29 PM
1 mom liked this
You have to.check yourself for the tie because my daughter had a very obviouus tie and she dismissed it. Lift top lip and take a pic. Post it here and i csn identify the tie for you. As for baby not opening all the way do this:
When going to latch on touch the top lip, this will make baby open. Have lip touch aerola and nipple pointing up. You roll the breast in her mouth, like turning til you got a good chunk in.her mouth. Use fingers to picker out her lips like a ducks bill. If u need a visual i can take a video of me latching on my dsughter step by step.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)