Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SCABIES!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:24 PM
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this
I work in a nursing home & we have a scabies outbreak. Every employee has been given Elimite cream & has been told to use it whether symptomatic or not. So far, I have no symptoms. I have read different information about the risks of using it while breastfeeding. Most say its okay, others say its not. The info from the manufacturer says to stop nursing during use. I am not willing to do that, as you ladies can understand. I am inclined to wait it out & only treat if I get the rash, but I am feeling pressure from my employer. I mean, its a flippin pesticide for God's sake! What would you do?
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:26 PM
Because less than 2% is absorbed after topical application, rapid metabolism to inactive metabolites and safe application directly on infants' skin, topical permethrin products are acceptable in nursing mothers.[1][2][3] This combination is recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for the treatment of lice infestations during lactation.[3] Extensive exposure, such as from agricultural use or malaria control might have long-term health concerns because residues can be found in breastmilk.[4] Only water-miscible cream, gel or liquid products should be applied to the breast because ointments may expose the infant to high levels of mineral paraffins via licking.[5]
ncoates04
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:26 PM
See what lactmed says and go from there...that is the trusted site in the bf community
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:27 PM
Lactmed entry is above

Quoting ncoates04: See what lactmed says and go from there...that is the trusted site in the bf community
spitfire06
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:28 PM
I heard to use lavender everything! It kills the scabese .... maybe find lavender lotion to use as well?
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:49 PM
2 moms liked this
Tea tree oil can also be used topically, and mixed with lavender. I would be inclined to do that unless you actually turn up with the rash. You probably already wear gloves and take other hygienic measures.
KarenM42
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:05 PM
Thanks!

Quoting K8wizzo: Because less than 2% is absorbed after topical application, rapid metabolism to inactive metabolites and safe application directly on infants' skin, topical permethrin products are acceptable in nursing mothers.[1][2][3] This combination is recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for the treatment of lice infestations during lactation.[3] Extensive exposure, such as from agricultural use or malaria control might have long-term health concerns because residues can be found in breastmilk.[4] Only water-miscible cream, gel or liquid products should be applied to the breast because ointments may expose the infant to high levels of mineral paraffins via licking.[5]
littlecheifsmom
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:39 PM
We just got it. Our entire family. The meds with oatmeal baths helped. It's taken a week of pure hell but they are gone!
KarenM42
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:13 PM
Ugh! That is my fear. I decided to treat myself as a preventive. Plus everytime I get an itch I freak.

Quoting littlecheifsmom: We just got it. Our entire family. The meds with oatmeal baths helped. It's taken a week of pure hell but they are gone!
littlecheifsmom
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:18 PM
It doesn't really itch, it burns. My skin was warm to the touch & it burned like a bad sun burn after a day the beach. Horrible! We got it. From a hotel stay ( high in one!) While our son needed to be seen by his cardiologist for testing. Thank god for medicine & hot water

Quoting KarenM42: Ugh! That is my fear. I decided to treat myself as a preventive. Plus everytime I get an itch I freak.

Quoting littlecheifsmom: We just got it. Our entire family. The meds with oatmeal baths helped. It's taken a week of pure hell but they are gone!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)