Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

need advice on getting baby to eat more baby foods and less snacks

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:53 PM
  • 13 Replies

My daughter is going on 9 months next week and shes really starting to get into eating other things besides just breastmilk.

She didnt really take to purees or jars of babay food very much about a month ago but now shes giving them a little more of a chance but what she really likes are the baby snacks...

crunchies, yogurt drops and rice cups.. (she'll eat these all of the time but they dont fill her up and also i dont think that if she ate enough that they did, that they wouldn't give her all of the nutrients that she'd need.)

She also likes eating off of my and her fathers plates ( things like bread and fries but i don't like to give her too much of that stuff because of the lack of nutrients.)

I need some advice on how to get my baby girl to start eating more of the fruit and veggie purees .

** I have given her small chunks of fruits and veggies and she'll be interested for about five minutes and then she'll start dropping them over the side of her hightchair tray and also when she's eating she'll miss her mouth and when I pick her up out of the chair most of the foods will be stuck all over her bib, and shirt.

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ToniTennille
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:00 PM
I've always done baby led-feeding. Basically they eat what I eat. Babies tend to favor sweet things so it's always good to start with veggies that aren't sweet. Just keep offering healthy options. She'll get it. It takes time for them to adjust to eating food.
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:08 PM
I offered what we were eating. If they didn't eat it, it didn't matter since they were nursing anyway.
TiffanyMarie80
by Tiffany on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:12 PM
My kids ate what we are- doesn't matter if they don't eat much because before 1 year it's just for fun and they are still nursing before each "meal" :)
gdiamante
by Gina on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting oliviasmommie05:

My daughter is going on 9 months next week and shes really starting to get into eating other things besides just breastmilk.

Breastmilk still needs to be at least 75% of her diet.

She didnt really take to purees or jars of babay food very much about a month ago but now shes giving them a little more of a chance but what she really likes are the baby snacks...

crunchies, yogurt drops and rice cups.. (she'll eat these all of the time but they dont fill her up and also i dont think that if she ate enough that they did, that they wouldn't give her all of the nutrients that she'd need.)

She also likes eating off of my and her fathers plates ( things like bread and fries but i don't like to give her too much of that stuff because of the lack of nutrients.)

I need some advice on how to get my baby girl to start eating more of the fruit and veggie purees .

Don't bother with purees. Really. They're mostly water, a waste of your hard-earned cash and provide no real nutritional value. You can mix them up with pasta if you want and let baby self-feed the pieces of pasta. But if you never give her a bite of purees again she will do better dietary-wise.

** I have given her small chunks of fruits and veggies and she'll be interested for about five minutes

That's FINE!

and then she'll start dropping them over the side of her hightchair tray and also when she's eating she'll miss her mouth and when I pick her up out of the chair most of the foods will be stuck all over her bib, and shirt.

Also all fine.  Take pictures! **smile**

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Feb. 5, 2014 at 5:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Your milk is all that is nutritionally necessary at this point. The solids are just for exploration, NOT nutrition until at least a year.
polkaspots
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 5:52 PM
2 moms liked this
If you want her to develop healthy eating habits then you have to stop giving her junk food. Give her fruits and veggies as snacks instead. She doesn't need to be eating whole meals, but the junk food is setting her up to be a picky eater. If she fusses in her chair when you try to give her normal food try just handing her a piece of broccoli or just leaving a small plate of them on the table while she's playing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iSMILEheCRIES
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:00 PM
Try the mesh self feeder bag with fruit and veggies in it. Then she will have better luck getting it in her mouth. My son loved watermellon and steamed sweet peas.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:51 PM
She doesn't need to eat purees at all, nor any of the baby "junk food". Until one year, breastmilk should be her main and major source of calories. Let her have pieces of whatever food you're havingaving to experiment with. At this age, solids are not nutritionally necessary, so it doesn't really matter how much of it actually goes into her mouth.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:39 AM

Its ok if she doesnt eat much of what you offer, or throws it on the floor..thats a developmental thing.  AT her age worry about breastmilk..always before any solids or snacks.  THEN offer what you generally and let baby have at it, eventually she will eat more when she needs it

isaacsmommy68
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:41 AM

I agree with this. What she is doing is totally normal. Mine is 20 months and still feeds most of his food to the dogs! They eat when hungry, playing with food is sooo much fun.

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting oliviasmommie05:

Breastmilk still needs to be at least 75% of her diet.

Don't bother with purees. Really. They're mostly water, a waste of your hard-earned cash and provide no real nutritional value. You can mix them up with pasta if you want and let baby self-feed the pieces of pasta. But if you never give her a bite of purees again she will do better dietary-wise.

** I have given her small chunks of fruits and veggies and she'll be interested for about five minutes

That's FINE!

and then she'll start dropping them over the side of her hightchair tray and also when she's eating she'll miss her mouth and when I pick her up out of the chair most of the foods will be stuck all over her bib, and shirt.

Also all fine.  Take pictures! **smile**

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)