Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need help! My 9month old is not sleeping at night

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:28 PM
  • 39 Replies
So my son is 9months old. I do co slepp(I know is bad but I was fine until he stared to wake up a lot during the night). He used to sleep all night long, maybe he was waking up 1-2 times to breasfeed and that's it. Well slowly he stared to wake up more and more. I tried to feed him rice cereal before bestime(didn't work) and the past month he's being waking up 2-5 times at night. So I got very tired. He is not a good napper during the day. I got his 9month check up and dr suggested to use a technique where u leave him on the crib crying and do not pick him up until the next moornig. He said things should get better in 2 weeks. Well this is day #4 and I haven't being succeful I can't let him cry. Nigh #1 cried for 30min.. I went to pick him up. Night#2 Him and I where crying for 1 hour...(ended up back in my bed) night #3 cried a lot! Like 30 min, then felt to sleep and later cried for 2 hours.(couldn't do it anymore... Back with me!)
WHAT DO YOU EXPIERENCE MAMAS DO SO BABIES CAN SLEPP THROUGHT THE NIGHT? I am exagusted, sad, confused, worry.. I want my baby to sleep I don't care if he's with me or in his crib, but I want him to be happy.
Any suggestion, books???
God bless you!
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:30 PM

Do not let your baby cio.  Nurse him on demand, even throughout the night.  

He's probably in the middle of a growth spurt and will go back to sleep more soon. 

isaacsmommy68
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Can't help you. My 20 month old has never slept more than 3 hours in a row.
spitfire06
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:37 PM
My dd doesn't sleep through the night often she's almost eight months now I'm sleep deprived as well do you work?
Verolo7147
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:38 PM
Yes I work!
Verolo7147
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:39 PM
I hate to let him cry!!!!!! I don't want him to cry at all! But I want him to learn to sleep and I want him to be able to have a good rest.
JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:44 PM
3 moms liked this

You can't teach him to sleep.  He will one day, when he's developmentally ready, figure out how to fall back asleep when he wakes.  No one sleeps through the night without waking.  He's still a baby and STILL needs to be tended to, even at night.

Also, it's NOT bad to bed-share.  Unless you're doing it unsafely. 

Quoting Verolo7147: I hate to let him cry!!!!!! I don't want him to cry at all! But I want him to learn to sleep and I want him to be able to have a good rest.

~Crystal~

Homeschooling Mama to James, Jade, Steven, Willow and Katara
Wifey to Michael since 3-30-05

K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:47 PM
1 mom liked this
He will sleep through when he's developmentally ready to sleep that long. He's not yet. Nightweaning before a year puts him at risk of malnutrition and puts your supply at risk. Nurse on demand until his birthday, then you can consider night weaning, but even then realize that not nursing doesn't mean not waking... the night waking may continue for a while yet.

Quoting Verolo7147: I hate to let him cry!!!!!! I don't want him to cry at all! But I want him to learn to sleep and I want him to be able to have a good rest.
polkaspots
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:51 PM
At nine months old my babies got held to put to sleep until they woke up the first time and then they stayed in with me until morning.
I've never left a baby to cry until they fell asleep.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gonzo318
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:57 PM
This. And I can't believe his pedi actually suggested letting him cry! Poor baby :-( just remember that it won't last forever.

Quoting JadeTigr7:

Do not let your baby cio.  Nurse him on demand, even throughout the night.  

He's probably in the middle of a growth spurt and will go back to sleep more soon. 

HungryForTruth
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 7:00 PM

It is natural for a nine month old to wake at night to nurse. It's also beneficial for you co cosleep. Your pediatrician is so wrong in his approach to this! I want to say more here but I won't. Please research child led parenting. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)