Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

17 mo and meals

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:32 PM
  • 12 Replies
Maybe this isn't the right place to post this but not sure where to go. My 17 mo won't eat most of what I serve. I already have one picky eater (he's 7) and I surely don't want another. Today for example: B: blueberries, yogurt, Cheerios. L: chicken (4 small pieces), a few fries. D: I offered shrimp and grits, also offered homemade pizza rolls. She tasted both. Wouldn't eat. So she is eating tomatoes with a little ranch and grapes. She will eat most fruits. Veggies she turns her nose up at. I give her milk at every meal. I cooked lasagna last night. She wouldn't eat it. Very frustrating to say the least.
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
babydsmommy18
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:35 PM
Keep offering. My 5 year old is picky, my kids have to try everything and if they absolutely don't like it that's fine but the have to try it.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:42 PM
She sounds pretty normal. Just keep offering healthy options. When she gets a little older (and with your 7 year old), offer at least one thing they like. Make a little chart with 2 or 3 boxes for each food at a meal. Each bite taken of each food earns a star in a box. Once the boxes are filled, they get a good job high five and you don't ask them to eat any more, though they are welcome to if they want to. For your 7 year old, start with 3 boxes on the chart and slowly work your way up to 5 or 7 as he gets more comfortable with trying new things. We had to do this with my oldest, on the advice of his OT while working through some feeding therapy. He now eats 6 bites because he is 6 years old (and he knows that rule, occasionally I still make a star chart if we're having a rough day).

it can take 11 attempts at a food before a toddler decides if he or she really likes it. Just keep offering and know thst they'll eat eventually. :)
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Try and make them fun. Get a muffin tin, put a variety of healthy snacks (veggies, fruit, dips, protien) and dipping sauce and let them graze. It helped my kids :)
gdiamante
by Gina on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:57 PM

Quoting trendy2: Maybe this isn't the right place to post this but not sure where to go. My 17 mo won't eat most of what I serve. I already have one picky eater (he's 7) and I surely don't want another. Today for example: B: blueberries, yogurt, Cheerios. L: chicken (4 small pieces), a few fries. D: I offered shrimp and grits, also offered homemade pizza rolls. She tasted both. Wouldn't eat. So she is eating tomatoes with a little ranch and grapes.
Tomatoes are good... so are grapes. Keep offering the other stuff. Don't sweat it.
She will eat most fruits. Veggies she turns her nose up at. I give her milk at every meal. I cooked lasagna last night. She wouldn't eat it. Very frustrating to say the least.

To be honest, it may be frustrating but it's not really a problem. Keep offering, no special cooking for the fussy ones.

trendy2
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 5:29 PM
Yes I have already made that mistake with the fixing special meals for the picky one. I could use a support team to deal with him now. We are working on it but he is remarkably stubborn to say the least.

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting trendy2: Maybe this isn't the right place to post this but not sure where to go. My 17 mo won't eat most of what I serve. I already have one picky eater (he's 7) and I surely don't want another. Today for example: B: blueberries, yogurt, Cheerios. L: chicken (4 small pieces), a few fries. D: I offered shrimp and grits, also offered homemade pizza rolls. She tasted both. Wouldn't eat. So she is eating tomatoes with a little ranch and grapes.
Tomatoes are good... so are grapes. Keep offering the other stuff. Don't sweat it.
She will eat most fruits. Veggies she turns her nose up at. I give her milk at every meal. I cooked lasagna last night. She wouldn't eat it. Very frustrating to say the least.

To be honest, it may be frustrating but it's not really a problem. Keep offering, no special cooking for the fussy ones.

trendy2
by on Feb. 17, 2014 at 5:16 PM
So if I offer her say chicken casserole and she won't eat it, what should I do? Offer her anything else (say fruit) or just take her up from the table?

Quoting gdiamante:

gdiamante
by Gina on Feb. 17, 2014 at 5:33 PM

If you're offering fruit to everyone else, then offer her fruit as well. If you're not, then take her up from the table.

No special cooking, no special treatment. She gets what everyone else gets.

Quoting trendy2: So if I offer her say chicken casserole and she won't eat it, what should I do? Offer her anything else (say fruit) or just take her up from the table?

Quoting gdiamante:

trendy2
by on Feb. 17, 2014 at 6:00 PM
Just seems harsh for an 18 month old but that may be why I am now battling a 7yo with this same issue.

Quoting gdiamante:

If you're offering fruit to everyone else, then offer her fruit as well. If you're not, then take her up from the table.

Quoting trendy2: So if I offer her say chicken casserole and she won't eat it, what should I do? Offer her anything else (say fruit) or just take her up from the table?

Quoting gdiamante:

gdiamante
by Gina on Feb. 17, 2014 at 6:04 PM

If you're still nursing, it's not at all harsh. 

K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 17, 2014 at 6:05 PM

That's where the offer one dish that you know everyone likes thing comes in.  Meat, starch, vegetable, fruit--make sure that there's at least one thing in each category that each person will eat.  Of the items that they think they don't like, we require as many bites as they are old (so my 6 year old has to eat 6 bites, 3 year old has to eat 3 bites).  Once they've eaten those, they can have a second helping of whatever their favorite portion of the meal was (usually vegetables or fruit here, but sometimes potatoes).

Quoting trendy2: Just seems harsh for an 18 month old but that may be why I am now battling a 7yo with this same issue.

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting gdiamante:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)