Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need help! My 9month old is not sleeping at night

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:36 PM
  • 5 Replies
So my son is 9months old. I do co slepp(I know is bad but I was fine until he stared to wake up a lot during the night). He used to sleep all night long, maybe he was waking up 1-2 times to breasfeed and that's it. Well slowly he stared to wake up more and more. I tried to feed him rice cereal before bestime(didn't work) and the past month he's being waking up 2-5 times at night. So I got very tired. He is not a good napper during the day. I got his 9month check up and dr suggested to use a technique where u leave him on the crib crying and do not pick him up until the next moornig. He said things should get better in 2 weeks. Well this is day #4 and I haven't being succeful I can't let him cry. Nigh #1 cried for 30min.. I went to pick him up. Night#2 Him and I where crying for 1 hour...(ended up back in my bed) night #3 cried a lot! Like 30 min, then felt to sleep and later cried for 2 hours.(couldn't do it anymore... Back with me!)
WHAT DO YOU EXPIERENCE MAMAS DO SO BABIES CAN SLEPP THROUGHT THE NIGHT? I am exagusted, sad, confused, worry.. I want my baby to sleep I don't care if he's with me or in his crib, but I want him to be happy.
Any suggestion, books???
God bless you!
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:26 PM
First off, cosleeping is not bad.

Second off. Its normal for babies, even at 9 months to wake at night.

I have 4 kids, all were in our bed a minimum of 18 months, our 3 year old is in our bed half the time.

I do nor believe crying it out is good for anyone.

Sometimes.milestones, teething etc can cause sleep issues. So, that could be the case. You may get a period of time where your babt sleeps well at night and another period where they wake up a lot, all normal.

I suggest getting the book "Three in a bed", ir was eye opening for me! Also. Dr. Sears has a lot of great books on Attachment Parenting.
ballerina.2006
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:33 PM
This is my 3rd and he co sleeps at least half the night and room shares if I can get him in his crib. He's 7 months old and wakes to nurse every couple hours if not more. I have two older kids who need me during the day so no naps.

Continue co sleeping. You'll get less sleep letting him cry.
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:16 PM
I agree with this!
There is NOTHING wrong with your baby sleeping with you. Babies go through sleep regressions due to growth spurts, teething, new milestones, separation anxiety, and many other things. Sleeping with my baby was the only way I got any sleep.

Quoting Precious333: First off, cosleeping is not bad.

Second off. Its normal for babies, even at 9 months to wake at night.

I have 4 kids, all were in our bed a minimum of 18 months, our 3 year old is in our bed half the time.

I do nor believe crying it out is good for anyone.

Sometimes.milestones, teething etc can cause sleep issues. So, that could be the case. You may get a period of time where your babt sleeps well at night and another period where they wake up a lot, all normal.

I suggest getting the book "Three in a bed", ir was eye opening for me! Also. Dr. Sears has a lot of great books on Attachment Parenting.
justone_jen
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:31 PM

Your doctor is...I'll just say, I'd be finding a new one.

There is nothing wrong with co-sleeping. Sleep routines change often in young children. Your kid is normal. I'd guess he's teething. Hang in there, mama.

gdiamante
by Gina on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Verolo7147: So my son is 9months old. I do co slepp(I know is bad
NOT bad. Expecting a nine month old to sleep might be bad. **grin** Or at least semi-unrealistic. "Sleeps like a baby" is code for "constant waking!"  Let's take a look.
but I was fine until he stared to wake up a lot during the night). He used to sleep all night long, maybe he was waking up 1-2 times to breasfeed and that's it.
Oh, man, you were lucky. And the piper now wants to be paid.
Well slowly he stared to wake up more and more. I tried to feed him rice cereal before bestime(didn't work)
Nope. Will make them wake MORE.
and the past month he's being waking up 2-5 times at night.
Pretty normal in my book. Especially since he's due for some teeth to pop up. Teething pain is worst at night. 
So I got very tired. He is not a good napper during the day. I got his 9month check up and dr suggested to use a technique where u leave him on the crib crying and do not pick him up until the next moornig. He said things should get better in 2 weeks. Well this is day #4 and I haven't being succeful I can't let him cry. Nigh #1 cried for 30min.. I went to pick him up. Night#2 Him and I where crying for 1 hour...(ended up back in my bed) night #3 cried a lot! Like 30 min, then felt to sleep and later cried for 2 hours.(couldn't do it anymore... Back with me!)
Hm. You have a pediatrician who believes in infant torture, eh? The method is called cry it out and doesn't really work for a lot of kids. Yours is one of them. It's OK. Sleeping all night is not to be expected ever in year one.

WHAT DO YOU EXPIERENCE MAMAS DO SO BABIES CAN SLEPP THROUGHT THE NIGHT?
Nothing. Nothing at all. Mine never slept all night, still doesn't at age 14. I'm 50 and don't sleep all night either. 
I am exagusted, sad, confused, worry.. I want my baby to sleep I don't care if he's with me or in his crib, but I want him to be happy.
Any suggestion, books???
God bless you!

Relax, dump that which isn't needed for survival, if you're seeing a lot of drool then offer teething remedies, Tylenol or infant motrin before bed. But waking is actually a good thing. It's SIDS defense.

My mom promised me that I get three guarantees as mom: Death, taxes and NEVER sleeping a full night ever again. (Even when he's grown... there will be something forever.) 

She was right.

As always.

:-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)