Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my friend...

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:34 PM
  • 9 Replies
is breastfeeding her daughter that is just a month old. her lowest weight was 7lbs 5oz. she now weighs 10lbs. I was like really? wow! she said that she will give a bottle and breastfeed. I didn't ask how much she was giving in a bottle.. but she said at one point she ate a 6 oz bottle and still nursed. she said, oh you can't over feed a baby. I don't believe that for a second! I didn't say anything other than that she should look online at kellymom.com because it has really good info about bottle feeding a breastfed baby. and that she should only be eating 1.5-2oz for every hour you are gone, I said like 3 oz every 2.5- 3hours.

can you over feed a baby?
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
hip2it
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:35 PM
I think with a bottle you can but not with an exclusively nursing baby if you feed on demand.
jamie101789
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:38 PM
yea and she will do both. like nurse and then bottle right after. or bottle then nurse.

Quoting hip2it: I think with a bottle you can but not with an exclusively nursing baby if you feed on demand.
hnischke
by Heather on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:44 PM
It's totally possible with a bottle. Not only that she won't last long nursing. It sounds similar to some of the awful advice I got which led to me pumping.
gdiamante
by Gina on Feb. 6, 2014 at 12:05 AM

With a bottle? YES!!!! At the breast? Nope.

Baby is indeed being overfed. And your friend will cease breastfeeding shortly if she doesn't drop the bottles when she's around.

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Feb. 6, 2014 at 1:00 AM
Yep!

Quoting gdiamante:

With a bottle? YES!!!! At the breast? Nope.

Baby is indeed being overfed. And your friend will cease breastfeeding shortly if she doesn't drop the bottles when she's around.

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 6:30 AM
With a bottle, absolutely.
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Feb. 6, 2014 at 6:52 AM
Baby should only eat 1-1.25oz per hr she's gone, not 1.5-2oz per hr. That would be overfeeding.
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Feb. 6, 2014 at 7:01 AM
If that baby is sucking down a 6 oz bottle, it won't be long before mom starts looking like a snack and baby will only want the bottle and she won't ever be able to pump to fill bottles like that. Maybe you can print the pdf from kellymom, bottlefeeding the Breastfed Baby, and tell her there were some tips in there that helped you.
jamie101789
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 11:39 AM
my bad, that's what I told her, but shes nursing and offering the bottle afterward. i dont know how much though... but seeing as she thinks you cant overfeed a baby, I told her to look on kellymom.com for the best info.

Quoting stepconfused182: Baby should only eat 1-1.25oz per hr she's gone, not 1.5-2oz per hr. That would be overfeeding.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)