Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

night time crying.... help! nothing to do with bring ;)

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:51 PM
  • 27 Replies
I know this group is supposed to be for bfing questions and such but no other groups im in are active so I hope it's ok to post here...

So our little one is just short of 3 weeks old and doesn't seem to wanna sleep at night... I don't think its so much a mix up of days and nights bc he will stay up on and off all day he will lay down fine in his bed swing bouncy chair car seat or even just on the couch and just hang out with us or sleep. So I don't think its him being "spoiled" if that's possible. But it seems at night he will not lay down on his own. He will sit and scream in his bed. We try giving him his paci he screams we hold him until he's sleeping then set him down he wakes up within a few minutes screaming. We lay him down awake he screams. It doesn't make any sense bc we do every thing the same for naps or whatever. In the day and he's fine... any advice? Im at a loss here.
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BrittSam2011
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:53 PM

Try to keep him awake more and active during the day. He'll be more tired and sleep better.

Lilypie Maternity tickers

hnischke
by Heather on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:59 PM
We let baby sleep when he's tired. During the day we made sure we didn't limit noise or light. Remember that baby just spent 9mo growing inside of you. Hold your baby and enjoy the snuggles while you can. Look into to safe cosleeping.
NDAUGHERTY
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 12:02 AM
We do try as hard as possible to keep him up but he's a good sleeper (in the day) any advice on how ti keep him up?? He has been up more lately for today for example he was up for almost an hour and a half before bed time. And half hour or so a few times thru out the day but tonight its still screaming. Hubby is feeding him now but before that it was s creaming. He will go to sleep sometimes for like 20 min to hour then wake up screaming when nothing is wrong
I

Quoting BrittSam2011:

Try to keep him awake more and active during the day. He'll be more tired and sleep better.

gdiamante
by Gina on Feb. 6, 2014 at 12:03 AM

Quoting NDAUGHERTY: I know this group is supposed to be for bfing questions and such but no other groups im in are active so I hope it's ok to post here...
Of course. And actually, this is more connected than you think. Because breastfeeding is the cure.

So our little one is just short of 3 weeks old and doesn't seem to wanna sleep at night...
Normal for the age. Let me introduce you th toe MOST UNPLEASANT CREATURE you will ever meet: The normal human three week old! He's now in a growth spurt and wants one thing. You know what it is. **grin** 
I don't think its so much a mix up of days and nights bc he will stay up on and off all day he will lay down fine in his bed swing bouncy chair car seat or even just on the couch and just hang out with us or sleep. So I don't think its him being "spoiled" if that's possible.
Impossible to be spoiled.
But it seems at night he will not lay down on his own. He will sit and scream in his bed. We try giving him his paci he screams we hold him until he's sleeping then set him down he wakes up within a few minutes screaming. We lay him down awake he screams. It doesn't make any sense bc we do every thing the same for naps or whatever. In the day and he's fine... any advice? Im at a loss here.

Just put him to breast. That's it, nothing else. Don't expect he will go out of your arms for the next few days. It's normal. I'd worry if he WASN'T doing this.

gdiamante
by Gina on Feb. 6, 2014 at 12:04 AM

Why is hubby feeding? I thought you were working on getting baby to breast?

Don't worry about clocks and set bedtimes. There's no need for them at this stage. Go with the flow.

Quoting NDAUGHERTY: We do try as hard as possible to keep him up but he's a good sleeper (in the day) any advice on how ti keep him up?? He has been up more lately for today for example he was up for almost an hour and a half before bed time. And half hour or so a few times thru out the day but tonight its still screaming. Hubby is feeding him now but before that it was s creaming. He will go to sleep sometimes for like 20 min to hour then wake up screaming when nothing is wrong
I

Quoting BrittSam2011:

NDAUGHERTY
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 12:05 AM
There have been a few nights that he has slept on me on the couch bcuz it was the only way I could keep him sleeping.

Quoting hnischke: We let baby sleep when he's tired. During the day we made sure we didn't limit noise or light. Remember that baby just spent 9mo growing inside of you. Hold your baby and enjoy the snuggles while you can. Look into to safe cosleeping.
NDAUGHERTY
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 12:10 AM
During the day we also dont limit the noise or lights. But at night we keep it dark and silent

Quoting hnischke: We let baby sleep when he's tired. During the day we made sure we didn't limit noise or light. Remember that baby just spent 9mo growing inside of you. Hold your baby and enjoy the snuggles while you can. Look into to safe cosleeping.
gdiamante
by Gina on Feb. 6, 2014 at 12:15 AM

OK, don't do that again. It's one of the unsafe co-sleeping methods; baby could be injured or even killed by rolling off you to the floor or between you and the back of the couch. (I had the former happen to me and was lucky mine didn't get hurt.)

Quoting NDAUGHERTY: There have been a few nights that he has slept on me on the couch bcuz it was the only way I could keep him sleeping.

hnischke
by Heather on Feb. 6, 2014 at 12:15 AM
My son slept on my chest for almost a solid month after he came home. In fact he just stopped falling asleep on my chest when he was about 14mo. He ways slept on his tummy (directions from his ENT since he was on a monitor and a foot away I was ok with it too).

Quoting NDAUGHERTY: There have been a few nights that he has slept on me on the couch bcuz it was the only way I could keep him sleeping.

hnischke
by Heather on Feb. 6, 2014 at 12:18 AM
The silence is part of the problem. He's used to noise! Your heartbeat, your tummy gurgles, and your voice. Try getting a white noise machine.

Quoting NDAUGHERTY: During the day we also dont limit the noise or lights. But at night we keep it dark and silent

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)