Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Shipping breast milk?

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 3:19 AM
  • 13 Replies

I donate to a friend of mine, but I also have a friend that lives in Arizona, I'm in CA; one of his baby girls if having serious issues with formula, she's on her 3rd type in 4 weeks, but her twin sister is doing fine.   I'm willing to ship as much bm as I can to them to see if it would help her, but I don't know how to package it, or how to ship it.

Anyone know?

by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 3:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MinaPR
by Mina on Feb. 7, 2014 at 6:04 AM
1 mom liked this

You'll need a foam container (not a regular cooler, foam keeps the cold longer) and as many ice packs as you can get. Put the milk in between the ice packs, then cover the whole container in aluminum foil and, (if possible) put it inside a regular cooler, send it FedEx next day delivery. I've done it before from TX to AZ and it made it fine. Do not send a lot of milk on the first try. You're a very good friend! Good luck!!

hip2it
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this
I having mine packed with dry ice for a five hour drive. There's a dry Ice place in Houston that has experience and packs it for you.
lillybug222
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 8:50 AM
1 mom liked this
Dry ice, not ice packs. & you won't need to be concerned.

I was able to find a local heating & cooling company that makes it. I put one 1# brick in each cooler & drove 4 hours to my BFF's house. It was frozen solid & would have been for hours longer!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MinaPR
by Mina on Feb. 7, 2014 at 8:58 AM

Dry ice is waaay better, but the FAA has very strict regulations regarding dry ice on airplanes... She'll have to ask FedEx about it.

lillybug222
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 9:02 AM
1 mom liked this
My MIL had Omaha Steaks shipped to me. They were packed in dry ice.

Quoting MinaPR:

Dry ice is waaay better, but the FAA has very strict regulations regarding dry ice on airplanes... She'll have to ask FedEx about it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 7, 2014 at 9:11 AM
1 mom liked this
I was thinking that regular ice would be heavy and expensive to ship.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 7, 2014 at 9:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Dry ice would be best for shipping..foam cooler inside a cardboard box, overnight shipping..do not let the dry ice touch the milk.  Fill the space int he cooler with newspapers or whatever because space equal "melting" dry ice

Roomfor1more
by Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 10:10 AM
Thanks ladies! I'll be shipping as much as possible Monday via FedEx.

Momma is breastfeeding, but supplementing with formula, she's having a hard time producing enough for both babies and they both lost a lot of weight and were not meeting diaper counts.

I'm giving her the link to this group as well.
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Feb. 7, 2014 at 4:15 PM
Just be aware that its going to cost A LOT! I sent my mom a small box that had her insulin in it from Arizona to Idaho overnight and it cost around $50, just for that small container.
laura_mae99
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 9:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Www.modernmilksharing.com
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)