Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Did you know breastfeeding is for poor people? :O

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 6:44 AM
  • 32 Replies
1 mom liked this

ARGHH!! I am so annoyed and need to vent! A little background first... I have 4 kids, all breastfed. The older is 13, the youngest is 6 months. I am a working mom, divorced, with a rewarding job. We have a beautiful house in an upper-middle class gated community. My boys go to a very good private school and I have begun college funds for all of them... They have good clothes and expensive toys. We go to Disney World every year and vacation locally at least twice a year... soooooo why are people still judging me because I have 4 kids?

This morning a coworker saw my breast pump and asked me if I was "still" breastfeeding, I said yes, and then another girl came in and said: "of course she has to breastfeed, she has 4 kids!" I got so mad I don't even remember my exact words but asked her what did she mean by "I have to breastfeed" and she proceeded to explain that since formula is so expensive and I have so many kids, people assume I breastfeed because I can't afford formula...

Many, many nasty things to say crossed my mind, but since she is my supervisor... I decided to be politically correct and educate this BITCH on the benefits of breast milk over formula. People are so uneducated and make assumptions without gathering the facts. We live in a so-called highly developed country, yet people have forgotten the basics, human babies need human milk! Breasts are so over sexualized, many don't even remember the purpose they were made for. We are mammals, we produce milk to feed our young, that's it!

So, my conclusion is... I am proud to be the poor mother of a tribe of beautifully healthy breastfed babies.

by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 6:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
boolie79
by Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 7:11 AM
Well said! :) I have four babies too. I have yet to have some on say anything to me like that but if they did they would verbally have their asses handed to them!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
....ClvrScn.
by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 7:15 AM
I have a reply gotta wait until I get into work to toe it all out lol
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 7, 2014 at 7:18 AM
Frustrating. But sometimes it's hopeless arguing or trying to educate people, their prejudices run so deeply. But I have to say, how completely rude that someone SAID that to you! Doesn't anyone have a filter anymore? Formula was purposely marketed at one time as a product for those with more money, intentionally stigmatizing breastfeeding as for those who couldn't afford formula. But how ignorant to insinuate it's because you have 4 kids. Do they think people formula feed the first one or two when they're more flush and then must breastfeed the kids after that? I can think of a lot of zinger comebacks, too but I'd probably just have said "I researched this topic quite extensively and formula always falls quite short. When it comes to my kids that won't ever do."
jessi2girls
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 7:22 AM

Second post like this this month.. 

But I'm 100% with you here. lol. 

preacherskid
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 7:36 AM

That was (and still is) a commonly held view where I live.  Breastfeeding was for the poor, lower class people who couldn't afford formula.  It was such a status symbol to ff, clearly you had money to throw around, and of course formula is much cleaner, after all, it comes from a lab not a woman's anatomy *sarcasm dripping* The formula companies did a good job marketing their product.  Thankfully the medical community here is pretty supportive of breastfeeding, but in my years of nursing I have run into the "breastfeeding is for poor people" quite often.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 7, 2014 at 7:40 AM
2 moms liked this
Kind of ironic to think formula is cleaner considering the bacterial contamination and bug parts that have prompted recalls in recent years. :-/

Quoting preacherskid:

That was (and still is) a commonly held view where I live.  Breastfeeding was for the poor, lower class people who couldn't afford formula.  It was such a status symbol to ff, clearly you had money to throw around, and of course formula is much cleaner, after all, it comes from a lab not a woman's anatomy *sarcasm dripping* The formula companies did a good job marketing their product.  Thankfully the medical community here is pretty supportive of breastfeeding, but in my years of nursing I have run into the "breastfeeding is for poor people" quite often.

kman88
by Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 7:42 AM

Where I live the poor get on wic and formula feed. 

Not gonna lie though we had a tough start to breastfeeding and if I had more money to afford formula I probably would have switched. Lol 

MIA0223
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 7:47 AM
How annoying.
I know in my husband's group of friends its considerred a status symbol. They all grew up together in a poor country.
Being able to "afford" formula for your baby is a big deal, ignoring the fact that nursing until age two is highly recommended in the religion we all are!
Money isn't even on my list of reasons why I breastfeed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
okiemamaof3
by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 7:49 AM
I breastfeed not because im poor but because I refuse to spend money on formula!
mama-smurf
by Felisha on Feb. 7, 2014 at 7:50 AM
Its odd...people bitch that they pay too much for stuff and always looking for the best deals but yet with breastfeeding they think its ridiculous? Ha! I rather spend lil bit of money on cream than 100's a month for formula. Since breastfeeding my daughter my bf says less complicated amd more easygoing than our formula fed kids. Especislly the problems that arise also with formula lile gassiness, fussiness, obesity and more.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)