Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Curious about other 9mos.

Posted by   + Show Post
What is/was the length of your 9mo? My ds is still under 1st percentile and want to know if there are any moms with similar experience. I fear the worst even though I was told it could be nothing. Growth hormones checked out fine...thx.
by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 6:48 AM
Replies (11-20):
Jessbech
by Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 12:49 PM
5 inches...

Quoting stepconfused182: How many inches and lbs has he grown since birth?
Jessbech
by Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 12:50 PM
Dropped from 10 at birth to below 1 at 2mo, stayed there since

Quoting cp428:

My DS just turned 9 months on the 3rd & we went for his checkup on Tuesday. He was only 4lbs 10oz at birth, so no one was really expecting him to be huge, even though he caught up pretty quickly in the first month or two. He was 16 lbs 8 oz and 26.5 in at his 9 month check up, which if I recall was around the 3rd or 4th percentile for both. Dr. wasn't concerned at all, she knows I just have small kids. In general I don't pay too much attention to percentiles and thankfully our ped doesn't either.

Was that a big drop for your DS or has he always been on the small end?

JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Feb. 7, 2014 at 1:03 PM

All of my kids started out, at birth, above the 50th percentile.  Only one has stayed above it.

All of mine, in the first year, usually drop down to somewhere between the 5th and 15th percentile for weight, and 15-35th percentile for height.  

Last I checked, my 9lbs 5oz and 22 3/8" baby (who by the way was 98% for weight and off the chart in height) is now 4 and she is now 34lbs and 38.5 inches, which puts her at 39% for weight and only 13% for height.

All of my kids are perfectly healthy and to be honest, none of them really followed a curve.  I think, like pretty much everyone else here, that percentiles are pointless, and we should be looking at the children, NOT at just weights, heights and percentiles.

anitaredd
by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 1:12 PM
1 mom liked this
My 20 yea old barely registered on the charts, now he is a US Marine! He was also failure to thrive and tube fed, now he can run a 5K in about 20!
cp428
by Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 1:25 PM

I think it's pretty normal for them to drop percentiles after the beginning. Was your doctor concerned at all? He's still grown though right, just went down in percentile? I supposed it doesn't hurt to look into things a bit, but I wouldn't be too concerned. Sounds pretty normal to me.

Quoting Jessbech: Dropped from 10 at birth to below 1 at 2mo, stayed there since

Quoting cp428:

My DS just turned 9 months on the 3rd & we went for his checkup on Tuesday. He was only 4lbs 10oz at birth, so no one was really expecting him to be huge, even though he caught up pretty quickly in the first month or two. He was 16 lbs 8 oz and 26.5 in at his 9 month check up, which if I recall was around the 3rd or 4th percentile for both. Dr. wasn't concerned at all, she knows I just have small kids. In general I don't pay too much attention to percentiles and thankfully our ped doesn't either.

Jessbech
by Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 3:32 PM
Yes she is concerned. We are following up with endocrine and going to do an MRI. He is happy and healthy otherwise and meets all milestones. I just wish I knew what or if there actually could be a problem like dwarfism or another syndrome...

Quoting cp428:

I think it's pretty normal for them to drop percentiles after the beginning. Was your doctor concerned at all? He's still grown though right, just went down in percentile? I supposed it doesn't hurt to look into things a bit, but I wouldn't be too concerned. Sounds pretty normal to me.

Quoting Jessbech: Dropped from 10 at birth to below 1 at 2mo, stayed there since

Quoting cp428:

shortyali
by Alicia on Feb. 7, 2014 at 3:55 PM
1 mom liked this
Dwarfism can be found out shortly after birth. I wouldn't worry about height.
I've had people freak because DD is small. Always has been. A lot of people on my side are short.
I tend to get questioned the opposite. DS1 is almost 54 inches tall and he will be 6 soon. He's always been tall and the first Ped wanted him tested because of it. I said no because my great grandpa was over 6ft (never met him) and DH's dad was well over 6ft also.
I wouldn't stress it too much. Some kids are super tall and others not so much. If everyone was a certain height then there wouldn't be a 1% or a 99%.

Quoting Jessbech: Yes she is concerned. We are following up with endocrine and going to do an MRI. He is happy and healthy otherwise and meets all milestones. I just wish I knew what or if there actually could be a problem like dwarfism or another syndrome...

Quoting cp428:

Quoting cp428:

angelchewning
by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 3:57 PM
1 mom liked this

remember when people say "look at the baby, not at the clock" when theyre talking about not timing how long the baby feeds and how long it should be inbetween feedings?

Same rule applies here "Look at the baby, Not at the chart!" Benjamin is Happy, Healthy, He looks COMPLETELY 'normal' and proportional in height vs. weight, and Meeting all milestones! And in the long run, isnt that all that really matters?

BTW HI, havent seen you around here for a while!

cp428
by Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 4:06 PM

I agree with the others. If he's happy & healthy otherwise and meeting milestones, I really wouldn't worry :)

Jessbech
by Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 4:29 PM
Hey!! Thanks again for the encouragement! I've been hiding out since my last post that turned into quite a stir lol! I'm just so on edge. It's like I let me worries go and then bam, another appointment and still no real progress in growth. Then all the worry comes flooding back. It helps to have the reassurance of others on here though to bring me back. He really is so happy and smart I should count my blessings, there are babies out there who have it so much worse.

Quoting angelchewning:

remember when people say "look at the baby, not at the clock" when theyre talking about not timing how long the baby feeds and how long it should be inbetween feedings?

Same rule applies here "Look at the baby, Not at the chart!" Benjamin is Happy, Healthy, He looks COMPLETELY 'normal' and proportional in height vs. weight, and Meeting all milestones! And in the long run, isnt that all that really matters?

BTW HI, havent seen you around here for a while!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)