Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Breastmilk is not enough.

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 11:33 AM
  • 23 Replies
Our pediatrician gave me vitamins to give my daughter because she won't get vitamin D from nursing. Is that true and is it nesicary for me to give them to her? I thought breastmilk was best and had everything she needed.
by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 11:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 7, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Vitamin D is the only thing baby won't get from breastmilk. And that's because baby gets it from the sun. There's no need for D in breastmilk.

But if you're in one of those ice-locked portions of the country where you're not getting 15 minutes direct sun per day, then "Just D" drops are fine. If you ARE getting that 15 pr day, then toss the vitamins because they're not needed.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 7, 2014 at 12:00 PM

agreed and watch out I BET the ones your doctor gave are a formula brand ..nasty stuff

Quoting gdiamante:

Vitamin D is the only thing baby won't get from breastmilk. And that's because baby gets it from the sun. There's no need for D in breastmilk.

But if you're in one of those ice-locked portions of the country where you're not getting 15 minutes direct sun per day, then "Just D" drops are fine. If you ARE getting that 15 pr day, then toss the vitamins because they're not needed.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 7, 2014 at 1:48 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm a firm believer that those first 6 months, everything baby needs us in the breastmilk and everything they don't isn't. I would *consider* D-only drops after 6 months but I still usually don't give my kids D until after a year. We don't see much sun in the fall and winter and summer can be so miserably hot we stay in. Ideally the D should come from the sun.
hip2it
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 2:33 PM
My pedi told me the same BUT she said if he's getting some amount of sun everyday to skip it. I'm in Houston so that's not a problem.
mama-smurf
by Felisha on Feb. 7, 2014 at 3:26 PM
I'm in michigan. I give my 1 year old d drops from lack of Sun.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 4:06 PM
You can find Carlson's or Just D online. They have no additives or other vitamins and are only one drop per dose. Pretty much odorless and tasteless.
AHarris116
by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 4:34 PM
My pediatrician told me I could take the vitamin D myself. I take 2000 IU a day.

Quoting Katie3621: Our pediatrician gave me vitamins to give my daughter because she won't get vitamin D from nursing. Is that true and is it nesicary for me to give them to her? I thought breastmilk was best and had everything she needed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 8, 2014 at 12:12 AM
Just D or Carlson's drops are recommended if the baby doesn't get enough sunlight.
newmelly2009
by Melissa on Feb. 8, 2014 at 12:31 AM
Mine told me the same, my dd is 2 months. She gave me enfamil tri-vi-sol A C and D drops. Is that bad that the A AND C are in there too?
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 8, 2014 at 1:40 AM
The bad part is the added ingredients that ruin the virgin gut of the baby.

Quoting newmelly2009: Mine told me the same, my dd is 2 months. She gave me enfamil tri-vi-sol A C and D drops. Is that bad that the A AND C are in there too?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN