Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Breastfeeding diet?

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 7:09 PM
  • 13 Replies
If you have one, what is it? Or what foods do you stay away from?
by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 7:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 7:18 PM
I drink less milk than I used to. My second baby had very mild reactions when I would consume more than a serving of dairy a day. He grew out of that within a few months, but I still don't have as much dairy because of it. I save so much money not drinking milk, and eating yogurt, ice cream and cheese every day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 7:20 PM
No real need to stay away from anything, unless you have known allergies or sensitivities in your family.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 7, 2014 at 7:49 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't limit a single thing I eat or drink. Mexican food, broccoli, chocolate, dairy, chili, a couple cups of coffee, the rare beer or glass of wine. At one point we thought my second ds had problems with dairy in my diet so I eliminated it for a month but his problem was actually my oversupply and overactive letdown.
Smokeygirl
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 8:01 PM
When my son was littler (pre-6 months) he was sensitive to spicy food, I'd eat a spicy dish and he'd get a rash on his face. Aside from that I never worried about my intake.
nicole2884
by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 8:02 PM
I can't have dairy or soy dd has mspi
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 8:02 PM

In the begning I shyed away from dark beer because I got engorged.  Other than that no changes.  Once DD and I reigned it my over supply we were golden. 

Honey_Comb
by Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 8:09 PM
Wow. I thought there were certain things you had to stay away from completely!!!
outstandingLove
by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 8:09 PM
At first I cut back on my dairy intake as baby seemed less fussy and had less green poops. But I didn't need to eliminate anything.

They say not to consume peppermint if you are concerned about low supply. But to consume lots of whole oats, almonds, and they have special teas and cookies to help support lactation as well.
But if you don't have a need to pump it's a lactation diet isn't likllely necessary
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 7, 2014 at 11:52 PM
*Most* moms can eat whatever they like. Upon occasion some babies have reactions. But all the things you avoided while pregnant, sushi, coffee, alcohol, deli- all ok during breastfeeding. The most common food problem is a baby sensitive to dairy in mom's diet, but even that is over diagnosed as many of these babies have moms with oversupply which creates many of the same symptoms. If your baby seemed to have a reaction, keep a food journal and track the pattern. But you can eat as healthy or as crappy (not recommended!) as you like and your body will still produce milk of identical nutrition. They say babies who are exposed to a variety of exciting flavors through moms' breastmilk are more apt to eat a wide variety of foods themselves. Enjoy!

Quoting Honey_Comb: Wow. I thought there were certain things you had to stay away from completely!!!
anxiousschk
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 12:54 AM

Diet as in...what I eat? 

Or diet as in "I'm on a diet."  

I don't really watch what I eat.  She hasn't had negative reactions to anything other than garlic and that made her gassy.  

If I want to lose weight, I cut back on junk food.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN