Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

new mommy with questions

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 10:49 PM
  • 18 Replies
Hello all!
I'm a new mom and new to cafe mom. I have a three week old who ist gaining weight very quickly and taking forever to nurse ie nurses every two hours for anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours on average. One Night, he wanted to nurse for 5 hours straight! I know milk is in, when I present the breast to him it is already leaking and is still leaking when he detaches. I was pumping well until that 5 hour nursing where he sucked me dry. Now I can barely even get an ounce ounoed though I know I have milk in there. Also, though I feel like he has finally figured out how to latch properly, at the end of each session he lets it slide as he is falling asleep and then wakes up and sucks vigorously on the tip of the nipple. Now they hurt like mad. What am I doing wrong? How cab I help him get the milk he needs without hurting? Help!
by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 10:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Feb. 7, 2014 at 10:56 PM

My guess would be a lip and/or tongue tie.

If he starts to let go, and slips out, don't let him just suck, recorrect his latch.  Any incorrect latch (like only sucking on the end of the nipple) is incorrect and going to tear you up.

Also, what is "not gaining quickly?" 

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 11:02 PM
How many wet and poopy diapers does he go through in twenty four hours? What is his weight history thus far, including the lowest weight after birth? Be aware that three weeks is a HUGE growth spurt, and frequent/prolonged nursing is normal. Put the pump away for a while. Does his initial latch hurt, or only when he tries to slide back on? There is a post from Poodlemum in the FAQ section that has pictures, links and a list of reputable providers by state who revise ties if they are present.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 8, 2014 at 1:35 AM
This!
The answers to these questions will help us to be able to help you.

Quoting MusherMaggie: How many wet and poopy diapers does he go through in twenty four hours? What is his weight history thus far, including the lowest weight after birth? Be aware that three weeks is a HUGE growth spurt, and frequent/prolonged nursing is normal. Put the pump away for a while. Does his initial latch hurt, or only when he tries to slide back on? There is a post from Poodlemum in the FAQ section that has pictures, links and a list of reputable providers by state who revise ties if they are present.
Nutmeghrose
by Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 2:59 AM
He average 7-8 diapers a day, 5-6 poopy and 6-7 pee. His birth weight was 7 lbs 6 oz, and he left the hospital 6 lbs 13 oz. First week dr appt weighed 6 lbs 11 oz. Last week he got back to leaving hospital weight-6 lbs 13 oz. The dr said last week that he was concerned about him not gaining back to his birth weight. Have another appt tomorrow.
He had a bit of jaundice in the beginning and I finally got him some sunlight (Indiana winters don't have a lot and our windows face NW!)
Usually just his initial latch hurts, but today there have been a couple times it just hurt the whole time.
hip2it
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 4:42 AM
1 mom liked this
Diapers and weight sound great to me. I'd have lo checked for ties. An ibclc is better for that than a pedi. Or a pedi dentist or ent that has experience with ties. There is a thread here with more info on that.

Three weeks is a wicked growth spurt. My lo literally nursed all night long once during that time. I woke up dehydrated. If you can make it through the three week growth spurt you can make it through anything.

Sadly most doctors don't know anything about breastfeeding and give horrible advice. Kellymom.com and this board are excellent resources.
arismommy611
by on Feb. 8, 2014 at 4:55 AM
1 mom liked this
Don't worry about your supply, unless there is somethin medically wrong with you, you are producing enough for him. Keep letting him nurse whenever he needs to. Breastmilk works like supply and demand, the more he nurses, the more you will produce. Babies are classified by how they nurse, and your lo sounds like a gourmet eater (mind was too!). I know it is tough especially during marathon sessions, but just try to work thru it, it is so worth it. Are you sure you are helping latch correctly? You can find videos on youtube to show you, this was a lifesaver for me. Invest in some lanolin and slather it on to help with the pain. Good luck!
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 6:32 AM
1 mom liked this
We look for an average gain of one pound per month from lowest weight after birth. He has gained back 11 ounces from his lowest weight in two weeks time. Most doctors base their expectations on formula fed babies; this doesn't work for breastfed babies. Do check for tongue and lip ties; these can affect gain as your supply regulates.
nicole2884
by on Feb. 8, 2014 at 6:44 AM
I Agree with what every one else said
Nutmeghrose
by Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 8:13 AM
Thank you all so much! Arismommy611- what do you mean "gourmet nurse?" I've never heard that term before... What other types of nursing babies are there?
Also, we need to have GMA watch Elijah while we get our taxes done. If I leave of pumping (not that I'm getting much now anyway) is it ok for her to make him formula? She brought up my dh and ask of her boys that way. You should have seen the look on her face when I told her I was going to breast feed! ;-p
Nutmeghrose
by Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 8:16 AM
Also, ties happen when the tongue is extra connected to the bottom of the mouth by a skin flap right? What is an ibclc? Thank you all so much for all of the fantastic advice and encouragement!

Quoting hip2it: Diapers and weight sound great to me. I'd have lo checked for ties. An ibclc is better for that than a pedi. Or a pedi dentist or ent that has experience with ties. There is a thread here with more info on that.

Three weeks is a wicked growth spurt. My lo literally nursed all night long once during that time. I woke up dehydrated. If you can make it through the three week growth spurt you can make it through anything.

Sadly most doctors don't know anything about breastfeeding and give horrible advice. Kellymom.com and this board are excellent resources.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)