Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Sore and tender nipple *update with more info added*

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2014 at 12:28 PM
  • 29 Replies
My five month old has two teeth now and we have been working on nursing manners, but yesterday I fell asleep nursing her and she bit down HARD. She also tried to latch improperly because she wasn't paying attention and started sucking really hard before I could latch her off, both of which have landed me with a very very sore nipple and I cringe every time she nurses cause it hurts so bad. It is like nursing a newborn again on that side. It feels like it shouldn't hurt so much when she latches on so I keep checking her latch, but every time she nurses the pain gets worse. There is no evidence of bruising or discolouration or anything, so I think I may just wait it out... Any tips for me?? I don't have a nipple shield and the way she refuses a bottle (other than tommee Tippee, thank goodness) I'm not sure she would latch on with one. thoughts?

Additional info:

1,) she has a lip tie with no evidence of a tongue tie, but her latch has been fine for awhile so we haven't done anything yet...
2.) she had a yeast infection (diaper area) but there is no indication it has spread to her mouth or my nipple...
3.) the area is red and now there seems to be a blister forming on the tip, but the other side is still fine. It hurts to wear a bra even.

There is a lactation consultant In town... I might try to see her tomorrow or early I the week if I can.
by on Feb. 8, 2014 at 12:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
yellow14
by Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 2:05 PM
I remember those days, when my son bite me I would take the Breast out of his mouth and he eventually learned, my son one time bite so hard I bleed. He is now 17 months and never bites me.
yellow14
by Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 2:05 PM
I remember those days, when my son bite me I would take the Breast out of his mouth and he eventually learned, my son one time bite so hard I bleed. He is now 17 months and never bites me.
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Feb. 8, 2014 at 4:38 PM
Owie! It will heal, just pay extra close attention and unlatch right away if the latch is off. You can even nurse on the good side while that side heals.
tinkerkowski
by on Feb. 8, 2014 at 4:46 PM
1 mom liked this
And let breast milk air dry on it. :)
FoxTales
by on Feb. 8, 2014 at 5:56 PM
Do I pump the sore side and only nurse on the one? Also, do you know if lip tie issues can resurface? She has one but had stretched it enough to get a good latch and we were going to get it lasered after 12m because they would only give anesthetic after 1yo. She had a terrible latch at first but was gaining well and the latch was good for the last few months so we thought we would wait and see what happened or if it disconnected by itself.

Quoting Precious333: Owie! It will heal, just pay extra close attention and unlatch right away if the latch is off. You can even nurse on the good side while that side heals.
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Feb. 8, 2014 at 6:26 PM
Yeah, pumping on that side while ir heals is fine. Are both sides sore of just the side she bit and latched wrong?

Quoting FoxTales: Do I pump the sore side and only nurse on the one? Also, do you know if lip tie issues can resurface? She has one but had stretched it enough to get a good latch and we were going to get it lasered after 12m because they would only give anesthetic after 1yo. She had a terrible latch at first but was gaining well and the latch was good for the last few months so we thought we would wait and see what happened or if it disconnected by itself.

Quoting Precious333: Owie! It will heal, just pay extra close attention and unlatch right away if the latch is off. You can even nurse on the good side while that side heals.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 9:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Lip ties don't cure themselves, and unfortunately your provider must not be very knowledgeable if he's making you wait until twelve months and using general anesthesia, neither of which is necessary. Look in the resources sticky for a post from Poodlemum with pictures, links and a list of reputable providers by state who revise ties.
FoxTales
by on Feb. 8, 2014 at 10:38 PM
they aren't well known here and the place nearby I called is the only one I could find close to me, and they won't administer anesthetic below 1, even though I know it isn't necessary to do it that way. I live in canada though so the list of states won't help. All I meant by disconnect itself is that sometimes if they fall or whatever it will split on its own.

Eta: I think it is just local they use though... Not sure why they insist on waiting :/

Quoting MusherMaggie: Lip ties don't cure themselves, and unfortunately your provider must not be very knowledgeable if he's making you wait until twelve months and using general anesthesia, neither of which is necessary. Look in the resources sticky for a post from Poodlemum with pictures, links and a list of reputable providers by state who revise ties.
FoxTales
by on Feb. 8, 2014 at 10:44 PM
Only the one side for now but this side was sore for a few days before the other one got sore originally too. No blisters anymore thank goodness.

Quoting Precious333: Yeah, pumping on that side while ir heals is fine. Are both sides sore of just the side she bit and latched wrong?

Quoting FoxTales: Do I pump the sore side and only nurse on the one? Also, do you know if lip tie issues can resurface? She has one but had stretched it enough to get a good latch and we were going to get it lasered after 12m because they would only give anesthetic after 1yo. She had a terrible latch at first but was gaining well and the latch was good for the last few months so we thought we would wait and see what happened or if it disconnected by itself.

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Feb. 9, 2014 at 12:02 AM
Hmm, maybe it could be from the tie too :/

Quoting FoxTales: Only the one side for now but this side was sore for a few days before the other one got sore originally too. No blisters anymore thank goodness.

Quoting Precious333: Yeah, pumping on that side while ir heals is fine. Are both sides sore of just the side she bit and latched wrong?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN