Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Sore and tender nipple *update with more info added*

Posted by   + Show Post
My five month old has two teeth now and we have been working on nursing manners, but yesterday I fell asleep nursing her and she bit down HARD. She also tried to latch improperly because she wasn't paying attention and started sucking really hard before I could latch her off, both of which have landed me with a very very sore nipple and I cringe every time she nurses cause it hurts so bad. It is like nursing a newborn again on that side. It feels like it shouldn't hurt so much when she latches on so I keep checking her latch, but every time she nurses the pain gets worse. There is no evidence of bruising or discolouration or anything, so I think I may just wait it out... Any tips for me?? I don't have a nipple shield and the way she refuses a bottle (other than tommee Tippee, thank goodness) I'm not sure she would latch on with one. thoughts?

Additional info:

1,) she has a lip tie with no evidence of a tongue tie, but her latch has been fine for awhile so we haven't done anything yet...
2.) she had a yeast infection (diaper area) but there is no indication it has spread to her mouth or my nipple...
3.) the area is red and now there seems to be a blister forming on the tip, but the other side is still fine. It hurts to wear a bra even.

There is a lactation consultant In town... I might try to see her tomorrow or early I the week if I can.
by on Feb. 8, 2014 at 12:28 PM
Replies (21-29):
FoxTales
by Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 5:22 PM
I called this morning and the lc is on sick leave :( but I went in and saw a health nurse and she called another lc in a nearby city who said she is certain it is a milk blister, so they gave me some tips and I guess if it doesn't heal in the next day or two a doctor is supposed to use a sterile needle to open the plugged nipple pore, which I'm sure would feel as awesome as it sounds :/

Quoting SMTCMMoore: Oh man your update sounds rough :/ I hope an LC can help!
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 10, 2014 at 5:42 PM
You can try treating the milk blister at home. There are tips on kellymom. Search milk blister or nipple bleb and the article will come up.
SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on Feb. 10, 2014 at 11:58 PM
Holy moly! That sounds painful!!

Quoting FoxTales: I called this morning and the lc is on sick leave :( but I went in and saw a health nurse and she called another lc in a nearby city who said she is certain it is a milk blister, so they gave me some tips and I guess if it doesn't heal in the next day or two a doctor is supposed to use a sterile needle to open the plugged nipple pore, which I'm sure would feel as awesome as it sounds :/

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Feb. 11, 2014 at 12:10 AM
:( owie!

Quoting SMTCMMoore: Holy moly! That sounds painful!!

Quoting FoxTales: I called this morning and the lc is on sick leave :( but I went in and saw a health nurse and she called another lc in a nearby city who said she is certain it is a milk blister, so they gave me some tips and I guess if it doesn't heal in the next day or two a doctor is supposed to use a sterile needle to open the plugged nipple pore, which I'm sure would feel as awesome as it sounds :/

FoxTales
by Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 12:22 AM
1 mom liked this
Thanks - I found that one early today and have been doing what is suggests. There has been some improvement already so here's hoping!

Quoting aehanrahan: You can try treating the milk blister at home. There are tips on kellymom. Search milk blister or nipple bleb and the article will come up.
Amycapl
by Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 7:02 AM
I just came in here to post about almost the exact same problem! No teeth but all of a sudden when she latched this morning the pain was so bad I yelped. Is your pain just in the spot with the bluster? Mine seems to be radiating from the forming blister on the nipple to the bottom/under side of my breast 😕 the things we do....

Eta: lol blister not bluster
FoxTales
by Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 11:31 AM
Yup, that's how it started... I would suggest trying to treat it now before it gets worse. The thing that worked best for me was applying as hot of a wet cloth as I could handle (and I mean hot - I poured water from the kettle on it and waited until it was just cool enough to tolerate) then applying that heat and immediately nursing or pumping... Another suggestion was to take a disposable diaper and hold it over a steaming kettle and apply that. It is caused by a plugged or clogged nipple pore. If a blister starts to form and you can see edges on it you can gently scrape at the edges to loosen the skin that has formed over top. After a day of lots of diligence in this the blister still hurts but it is well on its way to recovery. I also put Lansinoh and coconut oil on it (alternating) between nursing sessions.

Quoting Amycapl: I just came in here to post about almost the exact same problem! No teeth but all of a sudden when she latched this morning the pain was so bad I yelped. Is your pain just in the spot with the bluster? Mine seems to be radiating from the forming blister on the nipple to the bottom/under side of my breast 😕 the things we do....

Amycapl
by Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 12:33 PM
Awesome! Sorry I hijacked your post but thanks for the info!

Quoting FoxTales: Yup, that's how it started... I would suggest trying to treat it now before it gets worse. The thing that worked best for me was applying as hot of a wet cloth as I could handle (and I mean hot - I poured water from the kettle on it and waited until it was just cool enough to tolerate) then applying that heat and immediately nursing or pumping... Another suggestion was to take a disposable diaper and hold it over a steaming kettle and apply that. It is caused by a plugged or clogged nipple pore. If a blister starts to form and you can see edges on it you can gently scrape at the edges to loosen the skin that has formed over top. After a day of lots of diligence in this the blister still hurts but it is well on its way to recovery. I also put Lansinoh and coconut oil on it (alternating) between nursing sessions.

Quoting Amycapl: I just came in here to post about almost the exact same problem! No teeth but all of a sudden when she latched this morning the pain was so bad I yelped. Is your pain just in the spot with the bluster? Mine seems to be radiating from the forming blister on the nipple to the bottom/under side of my breast 😕 the things we do....

FoxTales
by Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 3:32 PM
Hijack away! I hope you can get it under control before you experience more pain with it

Quoting Amycapl: Awesome! Sorry I hijacked your post but thanks for the info!

Quoting FoxTales: Yup, that's how it started... I would suggest trying to treat it now before it gets worse. The thing that worked best for me was applying as hot of a wet cloth as I could handle (and I mean hot - I poured water from the kettle on it and waited until it was just cool enough to tolerate) then applying that heat and immediately nursing or pumping... Another suggestion was to take a disposable diaper and hold it over a steaming kettle and apply that. It is caused by a plugged or clogged nipple pore. If a blister starts to form and you can see edges on it you can gently scrape at the edges to loosen the skin that has formed over top. After a day of lots of diligence in this the blister still hurts but it is well on its way to recovery. I also put Lansinoh and coconut oil on it (alternating) between nursing sessions.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)