Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

nursing and wls

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2014 at 8:55 PM
  • 9 Replies
My son is 8 months I'm very proud that we've made it this far and I see no end insight... I am making an appointment to have a consult because I'm thinking about getting the gastric sleeve. so my question is does anyone have any experience with this and will I have to wean for the surgery
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2014 at 8:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Feb. 8, 2014 at 9:11 PM
You don't have to wean for any surgery. The drs will probably tell you to pump and dump for 24-48 hours all the way up to 3-4+ days. That is not true. Pump and dump is never needed.

With that being said, I would wait until after you have weaned naturally (or however long you plan to nurse for) until getting this surgery done. You may not be able to get adequate calories in once its done to properly sustain your milk supply.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 9:14 PM
What pp. said. I would research thoroughly for yourself, though. There are serious implications for you as far as being able to absorb adequate nourishment and nutrients for yourself.
sha-sha_mommy
by on Feb. 8, 2014 at 9:27 PM
I'm still doing all the research I can but haven't come across anything about bf... I know that my cal intake will only be about 500 if that and I'll have to drink a lot of protein drinks.. II'm not sure how healthy that is for him.
I most likely won't get this done until next year if I truly decide to. I hope he is still nursing and if it's going to affect that I'll definitely wait
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 8, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Do NOT do this surgery till after weaning. Minimum caloric intake while nursing is 1500 calories per day. It's not that this will be unhealthy for HIM... it will leave YOU malnourished. Nature will take from the parent to feed the new generation.

Quoting sha-sha_mommy: I'm still doing all the research I can but haven't come across anything about bf... I know that my cal intake will only be about 500 if that and I'll have to drink a lot of protein drinks.. II'm not sure how healthy that is for him.
I most likely won't get this done until next year if I truly decide to. I hope he is still nursing and if it's going to affect that I'll definitely wait

sha-sha_mommy
by on Feb. 8, 2014 at 10:28 PM
Oh wow.. I didn't know it was a minimum of calories I need to nurse... I'm still in research mode but I know for sure I don't want to do anything to affect nursing so I guess I most likely will be waiting

Quoting gdiamante:

Do NOT do this surgery till after weaning. Minimum caloric intake while nursing is 1500 calories per day. It's not that this will be unhealthy for HIM... it will leave YOU malnourished. Nature will take from the parent to feed the new generation.

Quoting sha-sha_mommy: I'm still doing all the research I can but haven't come across anything about bf... I know that my cal intake will only be about 500 if that and I'll have to drink a lot of protein drinks.. II'm not sure how healthy that is for him.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 8, 2014 at 10:32 PM

I actually wrote the cal count down wrong... 1800 per day.

In the meantime, look at things like Weigth Watchers. They do have a program for nursing moms. Up your activity level; if you can get out and walk daily that can help. Swap out things like white bread and potatoes for whole grains and green leafy vegetables. 

I've been reducing carbs and walking for about half an hour a day since last July, and have gotten my blood glucose level down 5 points. I think Christmas set me back! I still need to get it down another few points.

Quoting sha-sha_mommy: Oh wow.. I didn't know it was a minimum of calories I need to nurse... I'm still in research mode but I know for sure I don't want to do anything to affect nursing so I guess I most likely will be waiting

Quoting gdiamante:

sha-sha_mommy
by on Feb. 8, 2014 at 11:15 PM
Since the new year I've cut out bread white rice and pasta... My most drastic cut was Pepsi I've been doing good only drinking water. It's too cold to walk anywhere but when the weather break I plan to add that in. I'm trying my hardest on my own first but still want to explore my options

Quoting gdiamante:

In the meantime, look at things like Weigth Watchers. They do have a program for nursing moms. Up your activity level; if you can get out and walk daily that can help. Swap out things like white bread and potatoes for whole grains and green leafy vegetables. 

I've been reducing carbs and walking for about half an hour a day since last July, and have gotten my blood glucose level down 5 points. I think Christmas set me back! I still need to get it down another few points.

Quoting sha-sha_mommy: Oh wow.. I didn't know it was a minimum of calories I need to nurse... I'm still in research mode but I know for sure I don't want to do anything to affect nursing so I guess I most likely will be waiting

Quoting gdiamante:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 9, 2014 at 8:41 AM
Our mall opens early for walkers so when I only had 1 kiddo, we'd get up, have breakfast, then we'd go to the mall. He'd ride in the stroller while I power walked a couple of miles.

Quoting sha-sha_mommy: Since the new year I've cut out bread white rice and pasta... My most drastic cut was Pepsi I've been doing good only drinking water. It's too cold to walk anywhere but when the weather break I plan to add that in. I'm trying my hardest on my own first but still want to explore my options

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting gdiamante:

sha-sha_mommy
by on Feb. 9, 2014 at 8:44 AM
I never thought to just go to the mall to walk... I just might do that

Quoting K8wizzo: Our mall opens early for walkers so when I only had 1 kiddo, we'd get up, have breakfast, then we'd go to the mall. He'd ride in the stroller while I power walked a couple of miles.

Quoting sha-sha_mommy: Since the new year I've cut out bread white rice and pasta... My most drastic cut was Pepsi I've been doing good only drinking water. It's too cold to walk anywhere but when the weather break I plan to add that in. I'm trying my hardest on my own first but still want to explore my options

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting gdiamante:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN