Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Mother's who let their kiddo self wean...

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2014 at 10:16 PM
  • 35 Replies
At what age did they decide not to night nurse anymore? Not at what age did YOU night wean them... when did they night wean themselves?

Last night DS stayed in his grandparents room and didn't nurse all night. He woke twice but was content with some water in a cup and a cuddle from grandma so I know he's capable of going without his "tea" all night. It makes me wonder if it's time to night wean or if it's worth the struggle at his age. I don't want to force it if he's already close to the age when most kids night wean themselves, kwim?
by on Feb. 8, 2014 at 10:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Feb. 8, 2014 at 10:18 PM
1 mom liked this

All of mine were somewhere between 10-14 months of age when they stopped wanting/needing to nurse at night.

TiffanyMarie80
by Tiffany on Feb. 8, 2014 at 10:24 PM
My oldest 2 were 15 months and 18 months, but I was pregnant each time and that was a factor- they both weaned completely while I was pregnant as well. My youngest night weaned on her own shortly after 2...for the most part. She would very occasionally still ask to nurse for a few months, but that was after 2 solid years of every 1-2 hours :/ I don't know exactly what triggered her night weaning- it happened over the course of about a week, and was a very happy surprise! Lo
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 8, 2014 at 10:26 PM

He night weaned all on his own at about age two. But he'd been sleeping at his grandparents' house without night nursing from before he was even six months, because I was a road warrior during his infancy. he didn't generally take night bottles there but continued night nursing at home.

So... just because yours goes without at grandma's doesn't mean he's ready to do without at home. 

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Feb. 8, 2014 at 10:28 PM
See that's what I'm thinking. We're down to twice. Usually around 2ish and 6ish. Sometimes he won't sleep at all without it in his mouth all night but that's become rare. He'll be two in June so if it's that close then I don't see a need to disrupt his routine when we're already pretty close.

Quoting TiffanyMarie80: My oldest 2 were 15 months and 18 months, but I was pregnant each time and that was a factor- they both weaned completely while I was pregnant as well. My youngest night weaned on her own shortly after 2...for the most part. She would very occasionally still ask to nurse for a few months, but that was after 2 solid years of every 1-2 hours :/ I don't know exactly what triggered her night weaning- it happened over the course of about a week, and was a very happy surprise! Lo
hriabywx4
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 10:28 PM
With my kids the night nursing is the last to go. But that has more to so with our schedule. I work and we bedshare. So they tend to drop the day nursing first.

It really depends on the kiddo
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Feb. 8, 2014 at 10:30 PM
I'm thinking if the "average" night weaning age is around two anyways then it's not worth the struggle. We're so close to that already.

Quoting gdiamante:

He night weaned all on his own at about age two. But he'd been sleeping at his grandparents' house without night nursing from before he was even six months, because I was a road warrior during his infancy. he didn't generally take night bottles there but continued night nursing at home.

So... just because yours goes without at grandma's doesn't mean he's ready to do without at home. 

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 8, 2014 at 10:53 PM
My second stopped waking to nurse sometime between 3-4 years old.
mommawhite08
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 11:26 PM
I night weaned my daughter at 3.5. I kept going she would do it on her own. .. But no way, lol
graycalico
by Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 12:05 AM
I'll let you know if it ever happens. Lol. The only time my son went all night was when I was in the hospital having my daughter. They are now 28 months and 8 months, she wakes less than he does. Haha
MylittlePea
by on Feb. 9, 2014 at 12:10 AM
my sons 3 1/2 YEARS and still night nurses and I tandem. Fuck baby led weaning, that might be the exhaustion talking but seriously I'm tired, thirsty, touched out and theres no end in sight my son loves to nurse and cannot put himself back to sleep without it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)