Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Mother's who let their kiddo self wean...

Posted by   + Show Post
At what age did they decide not to night nurse anymore? Not at what age did YOU night wean them... when did they night wean themselves?

Last night DS stayed in his grandparents room and didn't nurse all night. He woke twice but was content with some water in a cup and a cuddle from grandma so I know he's capable of going without his "tea" all night. It makes me wonder if it's time to night wean or if it's worth the struggle at his age. I don't want to force it if he's already close to the age when most kids night wean themselves, kwim?
by on Feb. 8, 2014 at 10:16 PM
Replies (11-20):
Owl_Feather
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 12:20 AM

Ds self weaned 3 days after his 1st bday. DD is about 20 months old and still nurses

littlecheifsmom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 1:36 AM
Ds1 was a little over 2
Ds2 is almost 2 & nurses once a night. I think he will be weaned by 2.5 if he keeps going at the rate he is. We shall see
littlecheifsmom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 1:36 AM
Ds1 was a little over 2
Ds2 is almost 2 & nurses once a night. I think he will be weaned by 2.5 if he keeps going at the rate he is. We shall see
jjchick75
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 1:44 AM
Mine were all about 18 months when they stopped nursing at night.
cemcnair
by Courtney on Feb. 9, 2014 at 3:06 AM
Hugs! Have you tried Looking at the Dr Jay Gordon website?
I finally weaned Chase just after he turned 3 (we night weaned at about 20 months).
I know it's hard. It's ok to give yourself a break.

Quoting MylittlePea: my sons 3 1/2 YEARS and still night nurses and I tandem. Fuck baby led weaning, that might be the exhaustion talking but seriously I'm tired, thirsty, touched out and theres no end in sight my son loves to nurse and cannot put himself back to sleep without it.
Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 9:33 AM

I think all babies are different. My dd self night weaned around 12 months, when she started sleeping 10 to 12 hours a night. Dr. Jay Gorgon has a good article on night weaning if you are interested.

staci1103
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 9:35 AM

Both of my boys were close to 3

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Feb. 9, 2014 at 9:37 AM
I've read it, and we've tried it but it broke my heart to hear him screaming for something that I could so easily give him. That was when he was twelve months though. If the "average" age is soon approaching I would rather stick it out if at all possible. I don't want to "torment" him if I can wait just 2-3 more months and him do it on his own quietly, kwim?

Quoting Tckosdk.2012:

I think all babies are different. My dd self night weaned around 12 months, when she started sleeping 10 to 12 hours a night. Dr. Jay Gorgon has a good article on night weaning if you are interested.

micheledo
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 9:41 AM

I tend to night wean after they are a year old.  My 3rd and my 5th child, however, resisted night weaning.  Both were over two.  I am still working on the 5th.  I have a 6 month old, and getting up so much at night with 6 kids, is taking its toll.  He has been sick, so I have been letting him nurse, but now am back to trying and weaning him.  With him nursing, sick, and the baby nursing, I am lucky to get an hour of sleep before the next one wakes me.  :)

pinkfairy0206
by on Feb. 9, 2014 at 9:43 AM
My 3 daughter's were either a tad before a year my oldest was a year. My son was 32 months. Im not sure why he was the hardest I guess just all kids are different.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)