Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Mother's who let their kiddo self wean...

Posted by   + Show Post
At what age did they decide not to night nurse anymore? Not at what age did YOU night wean them... when did they night wean themselves?

Last night DS stayed in his grandparents room and didn't nurse all night. He woke twice but was content with some water in a cup and a cuddle from grandma so I know he's capable of going without his "tea" all night. It makes me wonder if it's time to night wean or if it's worth the struggle at his age. I don't want to force it if he's already close to the age when most kids night wean themselves, kwim?
by on Feb. 8, 2014 at 10:16 PM
Replies (21-30):
Analugojana
by Christine on Feb. 9, 2014 at 11:50 AM
15 months here and no end insight but I work during the day so she makes up for it at night. I don't plan on night weaning because I plan on not pumping at work anymore.
ArmyWife0927
by Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 12:31 PM
She night nursing at around 2 years. She occasionally wakes up to nurse, like when she's sick.
MylittlePea
by Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 1:38 PM
I need to do something because Im done. I missed my 11:30 am church because I simply could wake up. I'll be weaning my daughter at 2 I'm doing things differently this time thanks for the support

Quoting cemcnair: Hugs! Have you tried Looking at the Dr Jay Gordon website?

I finally weaned Chase just after he turned 3 (we night weaned at about 20 months).

I know it's hard. It's ok to give yourself a break.

Quoting MylittlePea: my sons 3 1/2 YEARS and still night nurses and I tandem. Fuck baby led weaning, that might be the exhaustion talking but seriously I'm tired, thirsty, touched out and theres no end in sight my son loves to nurse and cannot put himself back to sleep without it.
MylittlePea
by Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 1:38 PM
I need to do something because Im done. I missed my 11:30 am church because I simply could wake up. I'll be weaning my daughter at 2 I'm doing things differently this time thanks for the support

I finally weaned Chase just after he turned 3 (we night weaned at about 20 months).

Quoting MylittlePea: my sons 3 1/2 YEARS and still night nurses and I tandem. Fuck baby led weaning, that might be the exhaustion talking but seriously I'm tired, thirsty, touched out and theres no end in sight my son loves to nurse and cannot put himself back to sleep without it.
A.J.s_mommy
by Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 1:42 PM
My 16 month old still nurses pretty frequently at night.
cemcnair
by Courtney on Feb. 9, 2014 at 1:46 PM
At 3, it was very easy to explain to Chase. I think 2 may be a little harder.

However, two years is awesome!

Can you believe our babies are almost 1?!?

Quoting MylittlePea: I need to do something because Im done. I missed my 11:30 am church because I simply could wake up. I'll be weaning my daughter at 2 I'm doing things differently this time thanks for the support

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 9, 2014 at 1:54 PM

I need to warn you. You will NEVER get as much sleep as you want again in your life. **smile** Death, taxes, NEVER getting a full night again in your life: The three guarantees of motherhood!(My mother warned me and LIVED it... it was always something, till the day she died.)

But check this out: http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html

It works to get baby night weaned. But you also need to know, night weaning does not mean sleeping. That's a separate issue and they sleep when they're good and ready... if ever. Mom's defense: Earlier bedtime, eliminate that which isn't needed for survival, make DAD handle the wakeupsunless he's a first responder or operates heavy machinery for a living.

Quoting MylittlePea: I need to do something because Im done. I missed my 11:30 am church because I simply could wake up. I'll be weaning my daughter at 2 I'm doing things differently this time thanks for the support
Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 9:27 PM

I understand. Like I said, all babies are different. My dd pretty much self night weaned on her own but once in a while she will wake up to nurse. She's 17 months now.

Quoting MommyO2-6631: I've read it, and we've tried it but it broke my heart to hear him screaming for something that I could so easily give him. That was when he was twelve months though. If the "average" age is soon approaching I would rather stick it out if at all possible. I don't want to "torment" him if I can wait just 2-3 more months and him do it on his own quietly, kwim?

Quoting Tckosdk.2012:

I think all babies are different. My dd self night weaned around 12 months, when she started sleeping 10 to 12 hours a night. Dr. Jay Gorgon has a good article on night weaning if you are interested.

NoraDun
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Night time feedings were last for us. But #2 completely selfweaned by 15 months and #3 completely selfweaned by 18 months. I offered and they refused! *sniff sniff* still hard to think about LOL. I am currently nursing my 4 month old and PRAYING he nurses longer then my last two did!

Howardx5
by Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 9:40 PM
Ds night weaned at 21 months. Those were the last feedings he was even getting. So at 21m he was 100% weaned. DD is 17m tomorrow and no where near ready to wean. She still nurses before naps, after naps, before bed, first thing in the AM, and several times throughout the day
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)