Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Mother's who let their kiddo self wean...

Posted by   + Show Post
At what age did they decide not to night nurse anymore? Not at what age did YOU night wean them... when did they night wean themselves?

Last night DS stayed in his grandparents room and didn't nurse all night. He woke twice but was content with some water in a cup and a cuddle from grandma so I know he's capable of going without his "tea" all night. It makes me wonder if it's time to night wean or if it's worth the struggle at his age. I don't want to force it if he's already close to the age when most kids night wean themselves, kwim?
by on Feb. 8, 2014 at 10:16 PM
Replies (31-35):
Sunshine71980
by Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 5:06 PM

Rachel was still nursing every few hours at 12 months, by 14 months she'd weaned herself down to 1-2 times a night. And within a month of that, was sleeping through the night and waking to nurse maybe 1-2 time per week.  She was still nursing frequently during the day, probably about 8 times per day through all of that.

janislacrosse
by on Feb. 10, 2014 at 5:26 PM
My almost 21 month old still nurses several times throughout the night.

I have also been contemplating night weaning him, after he turns 2, but who knows. I may just wait it out and let him get there on his own...
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Feb. 10, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Mine is 2.5 and still night nurses...:-/ He night-weaned temporarily at about 19 months old, but after his brother was born 4.5 months ago, he is nursing 1-2 times after falling asleep. He hasn't ever stopped nursing to sleep (I consider not waking to nurse night-weaned. :-).

momto1ryen
by Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 9:50 PM
At 15 months when dd was still waking up and would only nurse to go back to sleep. She can sleep through the night at that point. I needed her to learn to go back to sleep by herself.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 11, 2014 at 1:33 PM

We started offering water at night around age 2..for one kiddo it was around age 2.5 for the other it was right at 3 that nightweaning happened on its own

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)