Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Fenugreek?

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2014 at 12:27 PM
  • 8 Replies

Sooo, i have been pumping for about 3 weeks now. I nurse my baby only at night time. My baby was in the hospital for 3 days about 1 week ago, so i wasnt able to nurse her like i usually do, therefore my supply went down. I started taking Fenugreek this past friday, i took 3 pills the night i bought it and 3 pills 3 times the next day. Well, saturday morning when i went to go pump, i saw a slight increase, but this morning it looked like my milk supply had decreased alot!!! For other moms who have took Fenugreek, how long before you noticed a steady increase in your milk supply? Do i need to give it more time to work?

by on Feb. 9, 2014 at 12:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 9, 2014 at 12:30 PM

Quoting tryinagain85:

Sooo, i have been pumping for about 3 weeks now.

How often are you pumping, and with what pump? And what's your output?

I nurse my baby only at night time. My baby was in the hospital for 3 days about 1 week ago, so i wasnt able to nurse her like i usually do, therefore my supply went down. I started taking Fenugreek this past friday, i took 3 pills the night i bought it and 3 pills 3 times the next day. Well, saturday morning when i went to go pump, i saw a slight increase, but this morning it looked like my milk supply had decreased alot!!! For other moms who have took Fenugreek, how long before you noticed a steady increase in your milk supply? Do i need to give it more time to work?

Need some definitions. Remember, pump output does NOT reflect supply but only response to the pump and quality of the pump. If you're not pumping frequently enough... every two hours... then no amount of fenugreek with do a darned thing. If you're using a poor pump, no amount of fenugreek will do anything.

Any reason for daytime pumping rather than nursing? Anything we can help you on there?

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 9, 2014 at 1:07 PM
What gdiamante said!^^^
Mrsmayaguy
by on Feb. 9, 2014 at 1:21 PM
I haven't had any supply issues BUT I haven't been able to get hardly anything with pumping. I stopped and just nurse BUT when I was trying things I notice a big difference was taking Fairhaven Health (I believe) Nursing Blend supplements. My milk seemed to come in quicker and my flow was heavier. Seemed like I still had milk left after the baby came off my breast. Good luck and I hope you baby gets better soon.
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Any reason why you are currently pumping during the day instead of nursing?

What kind of pump are you using?

How many times/how frequently are you pumping?

nicolett80
by Nicole on Feb. 11, 2014 at 7:12 AM
I saw an improvement after taking liquid Fenugreek for 7 days. Though, I'm not sure if it was the Fenugreek or just my milk had finally regulated.
TheMommaJessie
by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 8:00 AM

i took it for a month and never seen any increase in supply. i tried all the natural ways i could find to try to up my supply and nothing. i wound up buying Domperidone online from overseas to get my supply up with both my kids a pump just doesn't like to do much.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 11, 2014 at 12:58 PM
2 moms liked this

if you are not nursing enough and not drinking enough water fenugreek WILL decrease supply, it tends to dehydrate

mamabens
by Miranda on Feb. 11, 2014 at 2:57 PM

I took it and didn't need to, didn't see an increase but got itching welts on my back. What makes you think your supply went down? What pump? How often are you pumping? How much is baby getting? Why aren't you nursing during the day?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)