Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Still trying to figure out pumping at work EDIT...

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2014 at 6:06 AM
  • 17 Replies
I work in a deli in a grocery atore so I can't always just go whenever I want to pump. Yesterday I worked 1-9. I pumped at 12:15 before I left. The first chance I got to sneak away was 4. I took my half hour break at five but didn't pump. I did pump again shortly after 7 and then I pumped when I got home at 9:30. My total for all of that minus the first pumping was 4 ounces. I feel like it should be a little more than that but my only other option would have been pumping during my half and maybe getting half an ounce. Any other advice?

Eta: the issue is not if my work will let me - they have been supportive since I'm not the only one pumping (there were four babies born between oct and dec in just the deli department), the issue is I'm not sure WHEN to pump. I've tried every two hours before and I hardly get anything. 3 hours gets me between 1 & 1.5 oz each time. That would mean I would have to pump twice if I pump when I get home.
by on Feb. 10, 2014 at 6:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 6:10 AM
One big thing is you should pump shortly after you wake up every day, not before you leave. You should nurse before you leave instead.
I would suggest pumping at every opportunity at work. Also I eat oatmeal before I pump. It helps me get a little more out. What kind of pump are you using? How much milk are you leaving?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 6:28 AM
Yes, pump every day, working or not, before or during the first morning feeding. Do pump on your break as well. Your baby needs 1-1.25 ounces per hour of separation, fed slowly. ",Bottlefeeding the Breastfed Baby" on kellymom.com has all the details. Nursing right before you leave and immediately on arrival at daycare or home will lessen the amount you need to leave. She may also reverse cycle, nursing more when you are with her, which will help.
Charley427
by Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 6:33 AM
I pump as soon as I get up and then on my lunch break. I then pump as soon as I get home if hes not hungry or sleeping already. I yield a much larger amount each time I pump and never really knew why lol. Yesterday I was only gone five hours and fed an hour before I left and when I came home I pumped my routine twenty minutes and got over 13 oz which was a lot for me. I also make sure while I am away I drink lots of water and while and after I am pumping I drink as well.
MinaPR
by Mina on Feb. 10, 2014 at 6:36 AM

Pumping at random times will affect your supply. Like "polkaspots" wrote, don't forget the morning pump and nurse your LO right before you leave, you can pump after nursing the baby... Nurse baby when you get home from work instead of pumping. Baby nursing helps your supply. During an 8hr shift you should be pumping at least 3 times, ideally 4, (though I know it is not always possible). Prepare a schedule adjusted to your needs and those of the place you work for. I have always worked my hours around the peak times... try not to let more than 2.5hrs go without pumping. Unfortunately, your lunch time is the best time to pump. A good quality pump is very important too, if you don't own italready, try to invest in one or rent it. Drink A LOT of water and do breast massage while pumping. Good luck!!

Cassie2115
by Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 7:34 AM
I have the medela instyle advanced. I leave whatever I get. She does get some formula which we are okay with. Usually I do try to nurse before I leave but yesterday she was sleeping yet so I pumped instead. I wake up when she does in the morning so she nurses right away. I did have oatmeal yesterday. I've been slacking with the oatmeal because I get sick of it. I do take the More a Milk Plus supplement though which has helped increase my output.

Quoting polkaspots: One big thing is you should pump shortly after you wake up every day, not before you leave. You should nurse before you leave instead.

I would suggest pumping at every opportunity at work. Also I eat oatmeal before I pump. It helps me get a little more out. What kind of pump are you using? How much milk are you leaving?
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 9:25 AM
You're using a a good pump, but you have to pump more regularly. Your first pump of the day every day should be very early in the morning, shortly after you wake up because you will get the most milk that way

Quoting Cassie2115: I have the medela instyle advanced. I leave whatever I get. She does get some formula which we are okay with. Usually I do try to nurse before I leave but yesterday she was sleeping yet so I pumped instead. I wake up when she does in the morning so she nurses right away. I did have oatmeal yesterday. I've been slacking with the oatmeal because I get sick of it. I do take the More a Milk Plus supplement though which has helped increase my output.

Quoting polkaspots: One big thing is you should pump shortly after you wake up every day, not before you leave. You should nurse before you leave instead.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 10, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Your output was exactly what I'd have expected, actually. Pumping gets best output in the AM. 

Was your shift 1PM 9- PM? Generally, pumping after 6PM is a waste of time. I'd have simply put baby to breast at 9:30.

Is there a union at your store? Talk with the shop steward about breaks. If the grocery store has more than 50 employees on the payroll they do have to give you a regular break schedule when you need it.

Cassie2115
by Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 10:28 AM
Yes 1-9 pm. Baby's already in bed sleeping for the night when I get home. She sleeps from 7pm-4:30 am usually when she gets up to nurse and goes back to sleep. My boss is okay with me taking breaks as needed, I just haven't figured out the best routine for at work yet. This was my first 8 hour shift, usually it was only 6 so I'd nurse right before, pump once and then again as soon as I got home. Sundays are tough because we have more duties including a cash register to run and if I leave there's only two people and like yesterday only one can run the cash register but she's not comfortable so I tried to wait until it wasn't as busy.
As for pumping at night, when I'm home I nurse her usually around 6:30 before she goes to bed and then pump at 9 before bed and I usually get about 2 ounces.

Quoting gdiamante:

Your output was exactly what I'd have expected, actually. Pumping gets best output in the AM. 

Was your shift 1PM 9- PM? Generally, pumping after 6PM is a waste of time. I'd have simply put baby to breast at 9:30.

Is there a union at your store? Talk with the shop steward about breaks. If the grocery store has more than 50 employees on the payroll they do have to give you a regular break schedule when you need it.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 10, 2014 at 11:23 AM

You work an hourly wage I am assuming, they HAVE to give you break time whenyou need it to pump by law, like it or not.  There 1-9 you should pump at 3 and 6 atleast.  YES you should have gotten more than 4 oz since you were away from baby.

What pump? How long do you pump?

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 10, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Ok the formula COULD be the issue, is that when together? If so cut that out because it will really cause problems.  If when apart to make up the difference that can be ok but really try to make sure not to use more than 1oz an hour.  I BET the issue is that baby is sleeping all night, I would get up and pump once OR make sure baby has atleast 4 feeds when together

Quoting Cassie2115: I have the medela instyle advanced. I leave whatever I get. She does get some formula which we are okay with. Usually I do try to nurse before I leave but yesterday she was sleeping yet so I pumped instead. I wake up when she does in the morning so she nurses right away. I did have oatmeal yesterday. I've been slacking with the oatmeal because I get sick of it. I do take the More a Milk Plus supplement though which has helped increase my output.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN