Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Update from Me and Baby

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2014 at 12:33 PM
  • 19 Replies

Hi everyone. Well I haven't necessarily been breastfeeding my little one, but she has been getting my milk since she has been in NICU from my pumping sessions. At some point I will stop and don't want to feel guilty because I have to start taking care of myself and work on healing all the way from the emergency c-section I had. On another note, Akoya has been gaining wait (last appointment she was 5lb 6oz, at birth she was 3lb 14oz). She can't fit her preemie sleepers well anymore and stretch those legs out like she wants lol. I've also been having to change the way I've been eating because I'd notice if she got fresh milk the way she'd react to it and how much spit up there would be. Trial and error. If anyone knows a true way to dry up milk please let me know because I'm moving soon and can't keep up with getting my milk. My baby is something else and make me wonder if all this stuff I see her do is what she did while inside me. Love her like I never loved anyone before (except my bf) and beyond happy we both made it out well from that scary ordeal. :-)

by on Feb. 10, 2014 at 12:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Redkrow23
by Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 12:36 PM

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 12:55 PM
Will she latch on at all? Is she still in the NICU?
Redkrow23
by Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 12:59 PM

she is out of the NICU but her focus isn't there when we try to latch her on...but I don't have the energy to try and keep going on. I've been discourged from trying to stop but something has to give.

Cleo07
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 1:08 PM
8 moms liked this
I'm going to be honest with you and say that flu season is a terrible time to wean a preemie. Your baby's immune system is not prepared to deal with germs that's why your milk is chock full of antibodies to protect her.

I think if you work on latching, you may find that breastfeeding is far easier then bottles and a million times better for your baby's forever health. I know this isn't what you want to hear but as a physician, it would be dishonest to tell you otherwise. There are tons of people on here who can help you getting baby to latch and continue nursing.

Congratulations. She is beautiful.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 10, 2014 at 1:10 PM
It's really hard for most of us to see a mom get so discouraged, especially with a preemie, who really benefits from breastmilk. You might want to look into finding a donor. That said, don't quit cold turkey or you'll end up with painful engorgement, blocked ducts, and an significantly high risk of mastitis. Cabbage leaf compresses in your bra can help draw out excess fluid. Estrogen birth control can zap your supply quickly, especially Yaz we hear.
Redkrow23
by Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 1:12 PM

She is still getting my milk and part of me doesn't want to stop at all because my goal was 6 months, but things just turned out much different than i expected. I don't know which way to turn because all I want to do is sleep and my bp is up all the time. I should have been working on getting a latch but I just be so tired. I'm not in the mindset I thought I'd be in for this since I had a minor melt down one time.

Quoting Cleo07: I'm going to be honest with you and say that flu season is a terrible time to wean a preemie. Your baby's immune system is not prepared to deal with germs that's why your milk is chock full of antibodies to protect her.

I think if you work on latching, you may find that breastfeeding is far easier then bottles and a million times better for your baby's forever health. I know this isn't what you want to hear but as a physician, it would be dishonest to tell you otherwise. There are tons of people on here who can help you getting baby to latch and continue nursing.

Congratulations. She is beautiful.

Redkrow23
by Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 1:16 PM

My mom keeps egging me about telling me to get on my doctor about giving me this pill or something to dry my milk up, but my doc wants me to do the cabbage thing. I've been engorged again and it was more than I could handle at the time, which is why I had that melt down. I now got a heating pad (at first a ice bag thingy) but am still getting my millk out until I find the right time. I became anemic after this delivery and everything seems so much worse than it is, but every day is not that bad and I can handle some more than others. I'm trying to figure it out because the more I think of stopping then I feel sad kind of and don't want to do that to her. I am a little bit torn.

Quoting mostlymaydays: It's really hard for most of us to see a mom get so discouraged, especially with a preemie, who really benefits from breastmilk. You might want to look into finding a donor. That said, don't quit cold turkey or you'll end up with painful engorgement, blocked ducts, and an significantly high risk of mastitis. Cabbage leaf compresses in your bra can help draw out excess fluid. Estrogen birth control can zap your supply quickly, especially Yaz we hear.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 1:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Then that's how you do it--one day at a time. Just keep telling yourself that nothing else out there provides for your baby the way your own milk does. Take a look at "Getting Baby Back to Breast" on kellymom.com. That article is very encouraging with all the steps to getting a baby to latch on and nurse.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 10, 2014 at 1:26 PM
Once upon a time they used to give you a pill "to dry your milk up" but found that it caused strokes and cancer. Also don't listen to anyone who tells you to bind your breasts. I also want to mention that you always have the option to combo feed, breastfeeding (or bottlefeeding breastmilk) as you can while supplementing (with formula or donor milk). Even nursing part time will pass significant benefit to your preemie.

Quoting Redkrow23:

My mom keeps egging me about telling me to get on my doctor about giving me this pill or something to dry my milk up, but my doc wants me to do the cabbage thing. I've been engorged again and it was more than I could handle at the time, which is why I had that melt down. I now got a heating pad (at first a ice bag thingy) but am still getting my millk out until I find the right time. I became anemic after this delivery and everything seems so much worse than it is, but every day is not that bad and I can handle some more than others. I'm trying to figure it out because the more I think of stopping then I feel sad kind of and don't want to do that to her. I am a little bit torn.

Quoting mostlymaydays: It's really hard for most of us to see a mom get so discouraged, especially with a preemie, who really benefits from breastmilk. You might want to look into finding a donor. That said, don't quit cold turkey or you'll end up with painful engorgement, blocked ducts, and an significantly high risk of mastitis. Cabbage leaf compresses in your bra can help draw out excess fluid. Estrogen birth control can zap your supply quickly, especially Yaz we hear.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 10, 2014 at 1:58 PM
I've been in your shoes and I know how you're feeling. I made it 6 weeks of EPing before I introduced formula and weaned from the pump. My ds would latch with a nipple shield but his milk transfer rate was abysmal and he couldn't maintain my supply. It took me about 3 weeks to wean from the pump, gradually going half an hour longer between pumping sessions every day or two. I kept him nursing twice a day for another month until my milk was gone. That would get you most of the way through flu season with her getting at least some breastmilk every day. Whatever you decide, we're here and we support you. You've done a great job!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)