Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Embarrassing question/issue.... and Google's not helping.....

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2014 at 3:51 PM
  • 17 Replies

I consider myself hygienic - I shower everyday or at least every other day and I clean my breasts after each feeding/pumping session. That being said, I have an odd and unpleasant smell (sometimes) in between my breasts. I just got a shower this morning and already the smell is back...
  I'm pretty sure this isn't normal, since I never experienced it with my first kiddo... What is going on? Google is not helping, and I couldn't find anything in this group's FAQ section... I really hate to ask about something that disgusts me, but I need to know!

by on Feb. 10, 2014 at 3:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shortyali
by Alicia on Feb. 10, 2014 at 3:56 PM
I get that too every so often. I usually end up sticking a baby wash cloth in between them.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 4:18 PM
I'm wondering if it's a symptom of systemic yeast. Try taking probiotic and reducing or eliminating refined carbohydrates.
Mama_Pollito
by on Feb. 10, 2014 at 4:49 PM

sometimes it could be hormones that cause strong smells also, and hormones are always in different amounts... Sometimes certain foods can make you smell different than other times have you tried different body wash that would keep your ph in a better balance ?

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 10, 2014 at 9:13 PM

It actually is 100% normal. Aren't hormones lovely things? No need to be embarrassed. 

eagerforbaby
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 9:48 PM
I had the same issue. No need to be embarrassed. It's normal and pretty common. Yep, hormones do crazy things!
BabyPink07
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 11:41 PM

its normal! you sweat a lot more because of hormones that attract the baby to your breasts. It wears off after a while. At least thats what I came up with when I had that problem last kiddo :)

nicolett80
by Nicole on Feb. 11, 2014 at 6:56 AM
I have a friend with the same problem and she mixed some Tea Tree Oil with Sweet Almond Oil and would apply that like a body lotion, onto that area. She said it worked and the smell was gonna after a few days.
jean_marie1987
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 7:52 AM

Thanks for the advice. I'm glad it's normal.

jean_marie1987
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 7:53 AM

I looked up refined carbohydrates. Oh my! I eat practically everything on that list! I will definitely look in to reducing my intake...

Quoting MusherMaggie: I'm wondering if it's a symptom of systemic yeast. Try taking probiotic and reducing or eliminating refined carbohydrates.

jean_marie1987
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 7:54 AM

I haven't tried a different body wash. Which kind would keep my ph in a better balance? And, my hormones are a little off balance anyway, due to the Mirena IUD.....

Quoting Mama_Pollito:

sometimes it could be hormones that cause strong smells also, and hormones are always in different amounts... Sometimes certain foods can make you smell different than other times have you tried different body wash that would keep your ph in a better balance ?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN