Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Okay to take?

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2014 at 6:12 PM
  • 8 Replies

The doctor just put me on Ranitidine. I asked whie in the office if it was okay to breastfeed while taking it. He looked on his phone and said it looks fine, and even looks ok if you're pregnant. But now that we got the prescription, I see on the bottle, as well as in the warnings pamphlet that comes with it that breastfeeding is not recommended while taking it. It even says in the pamphlet (in caps) that it is excreted in breastmilk. So.. is it okay to use or should I try to switch to something else?

by on Feb. 10, 2014 at 6:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 10, 2014 at 6:22 PM
Everything has a warning about breastfeeding to cover their asses. The only trusted information regarding medications and breastfeeding comes from Dr. Thomas Hale (infantrisk) or lactmed.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 6:27 PM
The number for the Infant Risk Hotline is 1-806-352-2519. I looked at kellymom.com but it was not listed.
sunshinepraying
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 6:44 PM

I'll check there

Quoting aehanrahan: Everything has a warning about breastfeeding to cover their asses. The only trusted information regarding medications and breastfeeding comes from Dr. Thomas Hale (infantrisk) or lactmed.

sunshinepraying
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 6:44 PM

thanks

Quoting MusherMaggie: The number for the Infant Risk Hotline is 1-806-352-2519. I looked at kellymom.com but it was not listed.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 10, 2014 at 7:10 PM
2 moms liked this
Ranitidine is zantac. It is routinely prescribed to infants and pregnant women. It's safe. No worries.
sunshinepraying
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 7:55 PM
Thank you!

Quoting K8wizzo: Ranitidine is zantac. It is routinely prescribed to infants and pregnant women. It's safe. No worries.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 10, 2014 at 9:15 PM
1 mom liked this

They give this stuff to babies in larger doses than will ever pass through your milk. All good.

sunshinepraying
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 9:48 PM
Thank you ladies
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)