Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Reasons For A Pacifier?

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 6:50 AM
  • 20 Replies
LO is 7 weeks old and I'm EBF. We have not used bottles or pacifiers since day 1.

Now that she is 7 weeks, is there any reason to give her a pacifier? DH thinks no, why give her one if she's already gone through the last 7 weeks without one.

The only reason I was considering it is because she comfort nurses often and most the time will not fall asleep unless she is nursing. I was thinking maybe a pacifier would help.

What do you ladies think?
by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 6:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tinkerkowski
by Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 7:56 AM
I started one at bed time for that exact reason. Once she is satisfied with her need to suck she spits it out and goes to sleep. Just gotta make sure you know the difference between her hunger ques and comfort nursing :-)
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 8:00 AM
2 moms liked this
Comfort nursing builds supply. You want this so you can keep up with her growth spurts. Also, even the best pacifiers cannot duplicate the shape and texture of your own nipples; some of them can cause baby's mouth to develop incorrectly. They can also change the baby's suck at the breast, causing you discomfort. I'm with your husband on this one. At her age, comfort sucking at the breast is normal and desirable.
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 8:11 AM

We don't offer pacifiers.  Comfort nursing is awesome for supply!

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

paknari
by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 8:16 AM
I have never had a problem weaning he my children from the pacifier do I always gave one. Both got tired of it and refused it by 6 months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hip2it
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 8:42 AM
My lo will not take a pacifier. I have at least one of every kind and he spits them all out.
Mrsmayaguy
by Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 8:45 AM

I agree with you!  But having said that none of my kids used one.  I tried over and over because the used my nipples as one, I will say I heard long use of pacifiers are bad for their teeth but I never did the research since mine didn't.  Good luck.

torilee03
by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 8:50 AM
My ds bf for the first 4 months in which I didn't give him anything, but since my milk supply dried up after that.... I did give him a pacifier because he no longer had comfort nursing. I think as long as you are nursing, I wouldn't give one.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 11, 2014 at 9:14 AM

Don'tthink of comfort nursing as a bad thing. It's actually the best thing in the world. You can try a pacifier but if baby changes the latch and starts hurting you, put the pacifier in the trash.

Also be aware, some comfort nursers won't accept a pacifier at all even if it was given on day 1 of life. My son was one of these.

Momma2013
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 9:21 AM

We tried around that age just because of me going back to work and wanting that as an option for the sitter - ds was NOT having it. Saturday I threw away his 1 and only pacifier because he's a year old now and I do NOT want to worry about it now. Just the thought of a toddler with a pacifier makes me nuts.

Also - at our 1 yr check up the dr said to start weaning him off now because of how it affects their mouth structure. 

isaacsmommy68
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 9:29 AM

I don't like them because I just think they are gross. I wouldn't be able to keep them clean enough. I have issues with mouths and saliva though, lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)