Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Liquid gold....

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 5:44 AM
  • 14 Replies

If it truly is liquid gold, why do we donate it?

by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 5:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 5:47 AM
1 mom liked this
To help other babies in need.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 12, 2014 at 7:09 AM
1 mom liked this
It has a limited storage life; many moms find they have a stockpile frozen that they'll never use and throwing it away seems awful. Many moms recognize how much their own babies thrived on it and want every baby to be able to have that, one baby at a time. ;-)

I'm one of those people that has zero pump response after the first month so I've never had a stash to donate.
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Feb. 12, 2014 at 7:11 AM
You mean instead of selling it? Or instead of keeping it for ourselves?
jaxons_mama
by Allyson on Feb. 12, 2014 at 9:21 AM
To help other moms and babies. What am I going to do with it all. No need in wasting it.
Zazayam
by Nicki on Feb. 12, 2014 at 10:27 AM

Yep!

Quoting mostlymaydays: It has a limited storage life; many moms find they have a stockpile frozen that they'll never use and throwing it away seems awful. Many moms recognize how much their own babies thrived on it and want every baby to be able to have that, one baby at a time. ;-)

I'm one of those people that has zero pump response after the first month so I've never had a stash to donate.

nicolett80
by Nicole on Feb. 12, 2014 at 12:00 PM
I'm not really understanding this question? Lol

Sarcastic or real question?
Krys11anne
by Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 12:02 PM

We've all heard the phrase "don't cry over spilled milk" I would bet most moms on this board cried over spilled breastmilk at least once! I was very proud of my "fort Knox" (as we called it) stash of milk and if you think about the price of comparable amounts of formula - truly is liquid gold!

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 12, 2014 at 12:17 PM
1 mom liked this
It hadn't occurred to me that this might be the question. The reason breastmilk should not be SOLD is that it would open the market to abuse: people watering down milk or mixing with cow milk to make 4 ounces become 8 ounces, etc. When people are motivated by money some shady things can happen. Pumping is such an unnecessary pain that you can practically guarantee that a *donor* mom has the most honorable intentions.

Quoting stepconfused182: You mean instead of selling it? Or instead of keeping it for ourselves?
hip2it
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 12:17 PM

When DS was just a week old I was almost exclusively pumping due to ties and not getting a whole lot out at a time.  Everything I'd pump was his next feeding.  One time I spilled all of what I pumped on one side and I just sat there and bawled.

I donate it because I have the extra, and I'm not going to use it.  I'd hate to just throw it away.

Quoting Krys11anne:

We've all heard the phrase "don't cry over spilled milk" I would bet most moms on this board cried over spilled breastmilk at least once! I was very proud of my "fort Knox" (as we called it) stash of milk and if you think about the price of comparable amounts of formula - truly is liquid gold!

angelchewning
by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 1:08 PM

this is where my mind went also...

Quoting stepconfused182: You mean instead of selling it? Or instead of keeping it for ourselves?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)