Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Not able to pump anything on one side

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 6:43 AM
  • 9 Replies

I went back to work on Monday and I've been pumping throughout the day to get the 8 oz my son needs while I'm awhile. I have been getting nothing but drops from my left side and the right ranges from .75-2 oz. I have a white spot on my left nipple. I have my son nurse first on that side each time. I also tried to move / break the spot with my nail and a washcloth but no luck. I'm really afraid that side is going to dry up if I can't get anything out with the pump while I'm at work. Any suggestions!

by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 6:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 12, 2014 at 7:17 AM
Sounds like a bleb. Info here
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 8:16 AM
I get hardly any milk from my right side, but it is the bigger side and produces more milk. I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you're able to pump the amount you need in a day there's no reason for concern.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 12, 2014 at 10:25 AM
I agree!

Quoting polkaspots: I get hardly any milk from my right side, but it is the bigger side and produces more milk. I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you're able to pump the amount you need in a day there's no reason for concern.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 10:54 AM
Are you pumping before or during the first morning feeding? Supply is greatest then. You should do this every morning, working or not.
kph916
by New Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 6:03 PM

I pump before and after my son eats in the morning. I may have had a break through. I started fenugreek last night and today the side that wasnt pumping well was really sore on my drive home from work. I put the pump on and it started gushing. I got 1.5 oz then I put my son on to drain the rest. I'm going to see OB tonight because I don't like the look of the nipple because it stil has the white bleb

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 6:30 PM
Why did you start taking fenugreek?

Quoting kph916:

I pump before and after my son eats in the morning. I may have had a break through. I started fenugreek last night and today the side that wasnt pumping well was really sore on my drive home from work. I put the pump on and it started gushing. I got 1.5 oz then I put my son on to drain the rest. I'm going to see OB tonight because I don't like the look of the nipple because it stil has the white bleb

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yellow14
by Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 9:54 PM
Do you have mastitis? It's a breast infection, awhile ago I got mastitis and a red bump on my breast, my breast was very warm and very sore it felt like sun burn and I got antibiotics and it went away. Or it could be your not using that breast often, I've only nursed my son in my right breast, my left breast he didn't nurse because my nipple was shaped different and he would only nurse on my right, your supply does go down the less they nurse and the less you pump, try lots of water and fenugreek and pump more often. If your stressed or not eating a healthy diet could always be the cause too. Every time you nurse try drinking a glass of water, that always seemed to help my supply. Good luck I've been nursing my son for almost 18 months.
kph916
by New Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 7:08 AM
1 mom liked this

I went to the dr last night. It was a bleb and it did burst while pumping before I left for the dr. Now with the fenugreek I'm pumping about 3 oz every missed feeding so I am able to make my son's bottles for the next day. Thanks for the advice!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 13, 2014 at 10:29 AM

YAY glad to hear the bleb came out, those things SUCK

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)